A-B communication question

katratzi

We have a PLC-5/40 and a Micrologix 1500 LSP. I want to transfer some data from the ML1500 to registers in the PLC-5. We currently own a 1785-KA5/B DH+ to DH485 adapter module, as well as a 1761 NET AIC. Will it work moving data from the Micro to the PLC-5 using this hardware? So far the only A-B communication networks I have worked with are DH+ and Remote I/O. The manual for the NET AIC converter shows many ways to connect to DH-485, but nothing for PLC-5 communication. I set up a test network on the bench using a spare 5/40, ML1500, the KA5, and the NET AIC. I went online with the PLC-5, and in Linx I could see the adapter module along with the AIC, but not the 1500. I'm not sure what needs to happen to get the data moving.

I use DH485 and DH+ at work all of the time. I might be able to help if you could give me an idea of what cables your are using and to what ports they are connected.

The test network was hooked up as follows:

- cable 1761-CBL-HMO2 connects to channel 0 on the ML1500, then to port 2 on the NET AIC.

- DH485 goes from port 3 of the NET AIC to the DH485 port on the 1785-KA5 module.

- DH+ cable connects to DH+ port on 1785-KA5, then to DH+ terminal of PLC-5 processor.

When I connect the laptop to the DH+ programming port on the PLC, I can see the PLC-5 (of course), the 1785 & the NET AIC. I cannot view the ML1500. I've just read a little on the MSG instruction, is it possible that using this could work? Can it "drill down" through the 1785 & NET AIC modules to pull the information from the Micrologix?

Great! thanks rsdoran, for the technote! one (?) more question:
Will I be able to edit the program of the MicroLogix by connecting to the KA5 module, or will I have to unplug the 1761-PMO2 cable, return to the default communication parameters on the MicroLogix and edit as usual from there?

Sounds like the cable connections are correct provided you hooked the correct belden cable wires to the correct connections on the phoenix connector. You need to make sure the KA5 module is configured with the correct switch settings. The DH+ address must be set, the DH485 address must be set. Switch off the auto routing option in the KA5 module. Make sure the PLC5 and the ML1500 are not set at the same node address. Make sure the PLC5, ML1500, & the AIC+ module are at the same baud rate. You should be able to hook your laptop com1 port to the AIC+ module port 1 with a CP3 cable and check communications from there to the ML1500. Hope something here helps. let us know.

Thanks, vettedrivr, I have double checked the node addresses, BUT I did not have the DH+ and DH485 baud rates set the same. I will change that and connect to port 1 of the AIC. Assuming that all connections and settings will be correct, is it the MSG command that is needed to send the desired data to the PLC-5?

Yes, use the MSG instruction. Do a search on ab.com to get the protocol for the instruction. Several settings must be set but it won't be difficult to figure out, just target and source settings, ect.