Ethernet between SCADA and PLC

orense

Hello!

I am going to set up a SCADA computer.
It will communicate with two plc,s.
The plc,s I use are Siemens 315-2 DP. These use CP 343-1 Lean cards to communicate with eachother and the computer.
The SCADA software is a danish one, called IGSS. It has drivers that support communication with the plc,s.

Earlier I used the same computer and plc,s. Difference is that I used CP 342-5 cards with the plc,s, and a cp 5613-A2 in the computer. The communication between these was S7 set up in NETPRO. To make it work, I had to have a Simatic NET on the SCADA computer. Then I had to set up the connection in NETPRO in the Simatic NET software, then download it to the CP card.

But now when I use Ethernet, I have been told that I can use a normal network card, the one that all PC,s nowadays has. I will use TCP on IP connection. TCP on IP connection between the plc,s I set up in NETPRO, but what about the computer???

Do I have to set it up at all?, do I need the Simatic NET software at all? Or will the drivers find the CP cards as long as I set up the CP,s IP-adresses???...

Thank you very much for answers...

Orense

You dont have to use a Siemens ethernet card to setup Simatic Net.
The onboard Ethernet NIC that you find on most comercial PCs is enough.

Instead of inserting a Siemens CP in the PC station HW setup, you insert a "TCP/IP general" or "Ethernet general" (or something like that, I dont remember but just poke around in the HW catalog a bit and you will find it. I dont have my normal PC just now, thats why).

edit:
To the last part of your question.
Yes, you still need Simatic Net. Simatic Softnet Ethernet LEAN should do the trick. It is quite inexpensive.