Doseco batching controller to PLC control? Possible?

ckchew666

Hi,

Appreciate it if anyone familiar with batching process can lend me a hand here.

Have anyone come across a batching controller called Doseco? I tried to find the info from the web, but can't get anything in English.

1) I'd like to know what are the Input/Outputs type (analog/pulse/digital)?

2) Can I replace this Doseco with a PLC + HMI?

Please refer to attachment.

DosecoIOsmall.JPG

Doseco.jpg

Thanks a lot.

I am somewhat familar with batching controllers.

Almost certainly your controller has only digital inputs and outputs.

You can replace it with a PLC, BUT you could have great difficulty in figuring out what is inside this little black box. You can read the inputs and the outputs from your C5 and C6 pin connectors, but what goes on in between the inputs and the outputs? That is a question only you may can answer. Do you know enough about the process to reconstruct the program? Can you find the time delays, the formula codes, and the silo product codes? If so, then it is only a matter of finding digital PLC input and output modules that match the voltage level of your old Dose Co. unit.

Lancie1 said:
I am somewhat familar with batching controllers.

Almost certainly your controller has only digital inputs and outputs.

You can replace it with a PLC, BUT you could have great difficulty in figuring out what is inside this little black box. You can read the inputs and the outputs from your C5 and C6 pin connectors, but what goes on in between the inputs and the outputs? That is a question only you may can answer. Do you know enough about the process to reconstruct the program? Can you find the time delays, the formula codes, and the silo product codes? If so, then it is only a matter of finding digital PLC input and output modules that match the voltage level of your old Dose Co. unit.

May I know what's the silo product represent? Is it when the product from let's say silo A has comes in/released into the main silo/mixer tank , silo A will give a signal to the Doseco?

Sorry, I'm new to batching. Thanks..

Ckchew,

I think the Silo Product signals are outputs. These outputs could control solenoids that select which silo to pump a material FROM, but I really think they select a place to pump a product TO (that has been mixed). All your "S" labeled signals are outputs, all your "E" signals are inputs. It appears that E9 through E15 are the inputs that determine which ingredients get added.

Lancie1 said:
Ckchew,

I think the Silo Product signals are outputs. These outputs could control solenoids that select which silo to pump a material FROM, but I really think they select a place to pump a product TO (that has been mixed). All your "S" labeled signals are outputs, all your "E" signals are inputs. It appears that E9 through E15 are the inputs that determine which ingredients get added.

Lancie1, thx for your info.

1) based on the drawing how can we determine if these inputs & outputs are digital or analog? Because referring to the S16, there are signal of 1, 2 & 3. (In order to replace it with a PLC control.)

ckchew,

There are several clues that make me think that they are all digital or on/off signals. (1)There is no shielding of the cables, (2) There are no signals with + and - indicated.

Some signals can be used for different purposes (multiplexed), depending on what functions are selected on the front panel. That would apply to S16, S19 and S23. If S15 is off, then Silo outputs S1 to S14 are enabled, if it is on then Silo outputs S16 to S29 are enabled. S15 probably controls an external relay or contactor, which switches the outputs between two different sets of wires.

Possibly, outputs S16, S19 and S23 used blink codes:

1 blink, pause = Function 1
2 blinks, pause = Function 2
3 blinks, pause = Function 3

Last edited: