Diffuse Photoeye

Hi All,

I am having trouble with a new system that uses a retroreflecive photoeye to detect panes of glass. It is used in conjunction with a washer and when the reflector gets any type of moisture on it we are plagued with false readings. Any wisdom as to whether I can use an ultrasonic or diffuse photoeye to detect glass?

Thanks

You can use Ultra Sonic sensor or install your photo eye sensor in a way that the moister would not effect the sensor.

If your pans are clear(transparent) diffuse might be a problem.

Only a test can tell if it good or not.

Thanks for the reply Arik,

Unfortunately I cannot place the reflector in any other location that would not be affected by moisture so I have no other choice but to come up with a different type of sensor. I figured since the Ultrasonic might work by distance I could just detect when a pane of glass is present. This will give me other options for programming that are related to the project.

Thanks again.
icon10.gif

Make sure the Ultrasonic doesn't get moisture on the front of it. They don't respond well at all when covered..........

The current system points straight down to the reflectors. The sensors themselves don't see moisture, just the reflectors. I don't really have any other way to look at the product but I'm sure there is something out there to do the job without the reflectors.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Hi Jeff

If you can describe your conditions a bit better i would use a diffused sensor type from Schneider, you can also set this one up to be reflective, very nice , i hav used them for ages and found no problems..

I'm at the point where i reffuse to use the reflective type, just double the problems with double theequipment

Can you use a small fiber-optic diffuse photoswitch head, looking at the EDGE of the glass, instead of directly? The edge of glass is less transparent, and will reflect more.

Another possibility is to put a mirror beneath the glass, and look at the mirror with a thru-beam type of photoswitch. These have a light source and a light detector. Set your source to shine on the mirror at about a 60-degree angle, and your detector to look for the reflected beam. With no glasss, straight reflection. With glass, deflected distorted reflection.