Help to select a PLC brand for project

AEI Service

Hi

I am also new to this site and trying to learn

I have read about a hundred posts so far and am very impressed with the people on this site.

I have a few questions

First I have a project that I am building that will require a PLC and am looking for recommendation related to reliability, ease of programming, and reasonable pricing. Estimate of 10 inputs and 10-15 outputs.

Currently I have equipment with
1, - Telemecanique TSX-07 312428
1, - IDEC FA -2 Junior
1, - DL205 (Sold by Automation Direct)

So I would like to keep the new one the same as one I have, unless there is a much better unit.

When the Telemecanique TSX-07 312428 had a problem (1 output was bad) I ordered that software so I could down load the program, with the intent to replace it with a DL205.

I had read the sale info on the DL205 and it seamed impressive so I ordered the software to learn the programming. (Never trust sales!:D ) - (The book that came with it is very poorly written)

I have also down loaded the program from my current equipment to study.

After studying both programs I found it easy the rewrite the TSX-07 312428 software to fix the problem, and was very lost on the DL205.

My second question is on the DL205, do I just need to keep studying and try to get a better source to learn from or is it really a tough program to learn.
Thank you

I've never worked with the Telemecanique PLCs, but I'm surprised you found the DL205 difficult. What CPU were you using? What I/O cards? What were you having trouble with? Overall the DL205 is very capable (though not as capable as some others) and I've always thought of them as an easy to learn system.

Two words

USER MANUAL

If you were trying to learn how to program with the manual for the Software....

I'm not sure there is much more in that manaul than how to load the software and maybe how to connect to the PLC. Very little if anything on using a PLC.

You should have been looking at the user manual for the DL205. (It is available for download in pdf format). http://web4.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/index.html

THe D2User manual describes the memory map of the CPU, that available commands, has sample code (ladder), some programming tips. I don't know if it is well written manual, but I have not had much problem finding the information I needed when I looked.

If you plan on using any analog modules, download the D2-analog manual. It includes code for configuration and use of the analog modules.

It not too hard when you use the User Manuals.

BTW: Re the ADC choice: Why the 205 and not the 06? Your stated I/O would be met by an 06 without expansion modules (available). It would be about half the price of the 205

Last edited:
The unit is a DL250-1 cpu on a D2-06B1 W/ a D2-16NA, D208ND3, F204THM, D2-12TR, and a D2-fill. Also has a EZ touch screen connected.
Maybe my error is trying to study the program that I down loaded.
When the user manual say "the following table provides a complete list of the various data types and their meaning" I expected that I could identify everything in the program.
My main goal is to be able to understand the program I have, and be able to convert the TSX program. And hopfully be able to write my own for future projects.

The 205 came in a machine we had custom built for us 2 1/2 years ago. and why it was used not sure the designer even knew.
Thank you for the link I did find in the "Direct32 manual" a note to use the user manual but since it did not come with the machine was not sure what it was.
And I had not checked to see if it could be down loaded.

Here are a few more things that will be useful...

http://support.automationdirect.com/ (main support site)
http://forum1.automationdirect.com/ (AD's forum)
770-844-4200

The phone number is for AD tech support. In my experience their tech support group is excellent and if you manage to throw a question at them they can't answer they will go the extra mile to get you an answer. The best part is their tech support is 100% free.