OT: 3 way light bulbs

sie625

Sorry for the random question, I figured i'd get the best/quickest answer on this forum.

What, if any, is the difference between a 50-150 3 way bulb and a 50/150. I just always assumed that different manufactures used inconsistent naming. But i just got some new GE lighting info and they list a 50-150 followed immediately by a 50/150. The only difference that i can see is that the 50-150 has a longer rated life. If anyone can fill me in on what i am missing i would appreciate it, its one of those things that caught my attention and now is nagging at me.

You figure that GE lighting people might know the answer? But taking a stab, maybe the 50-150 means a single filament that can be used on a variable source from 50 to 150 watts. The 50/150 may be a multiple filament bulb that has at least two, and possibly three different power values. But like I said, I am guessing and the best thing to do is ask the people who make the things!

A three-way light bulb is nothing more than two light bulb filaments in one glass bulb housing with a slightly different switch arrangement.

If you turn your lamp switch "one click", the first filament (the lowest power level) is energized.

If you turn your lamp switch "the second click", the second filament (usually a higher power level) is energized.

If you turn your lamp switch "the third click", both filaments (the sum of the two filament power levels) are energized.

Therefore, any three-way is really rated something like 50/100/150. (See how the first two numbers equal the third?)

Second lastly, don't confuse the power consumption with amount of light (in lumens). They relate, but not necessarily linearly.

Lastly, I once worked with GE on some lamp projects. I believe the way they rate lifetime of bulbs is to illuminate one hundred bulbs in a test fixture. When fifty (the median) light bulbs remain burning, that is what is considered the Average Life (or at least that's what (watt) my friends at GE told me.)