A basic servomotor question

katratzi

I am not at all familiar with servomotors, but have run across some old equipment that has several servomotors attached. The drives are gone. Is it possible to get a "generic" servo drive that will run these motors, or does a specific servomotor have to have a specialized drive to power it? One of the smaller motors was manufactured by Pacific Scientific, a larger one was produced by Kollmorgen. I have searched for the manual for the PacSci, but no luck yet.

katratzi said:
Is it possible to get a "generic" servo drive that will run these motors, or does a specific servomotor have to have a specialized drive to power it?
While all brands are similar in technology, there are usually enough subtle differences to make it not worthwhile trying to run brand x servo motor with brand y servo drive.