Deletion of Symbols,Descriptions in PLC5

Mak579

Hey Guys,

Congratulations on a very informative forum.

Hoping someone can provide me with some assistance.

I've been commissioned to remove a lot of redundant programming from several PLC5's. Removing the code is straightforward, exporting and editing the CSV database seems the most efficient way of deleting all the redundant symbols and descriptions. I'm finding that when I try to import the new edited CSV database that the descriptions have been removed but the symbols are still there!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

If you don't write over all fields in the CSV then it will leave the field as is. You could try exporting the DB to CSV, then deleting the entire database Tools->database->delete, and then importing the modified CSV back in. For old addresses which are no longer referenced you can use Tools->Database->Delete unused addr.

Alaric,

thnaks for the prompt reply.

I've done some similar things but I'll do some testing and get back to you

Regards
Matt

Ok,

Deleting the database, my constraints are that the rung comments are not exported/imported in CSV. Under the instruction Tools->Database->ASCII export CSV tab the "Page Title/Rung Description" is greyed (not selectable). Can I make this selectable?

Using the Tools->Database->Delete Unused Addr does remove the symbols I want, but it also removes a lot of desriptions from bits that are not referenced in the PLC (these are display data used via SCADA)

Running v6.2 RSLogix5 - unfotunately it's not the professional version which allows direct excel editing Tools->Database->Edit using excel

Are there any other options?

Regards
Matt
PS I was looking to edit post 3 but couldn't!!

Well, I've figured out a way, it's quite lengthy but appears to work fine. Any comments or better options welcome.

1.Save the file as a .PC5 file (not .rsp)
2.Convert files with extensions .SY5 and .SY6 to text
3.Create an Access Data base and import these textfiles ensuring space delimited and all fields are text.
4.Make the modifications to both of the imported tables in Access
5.Export the files to txt and then convert them back to the original extension.
6. Open the .PC5 file and verify the project, save as .RSP.
7. Check changes by exporting the CSV file

Any questions or concerns let me know

Regards
Matt