RedLion G303

Jezz

Hi,
we have a G303 we are hoping to use to connect to an Allen Bradley SLC 5/02 via DH485 we have written most to the database (attached) the problem is when we connect to the SLC and power the units up the G303 displays "WORKING" , then "TIMEOUT" then all the data then all the data on the screen relating to tags ( i.e. the value for N7:0) flashes on and off ,like its struggling to communicate any ideas what might be wrong ,we made up our own lead as described here http://www.redlion.net/Support/Cable/CBLAB003.pdf connecting 1 to 1 , 2 to 2 ,5 to 5 and 6 to 7.

Making these cables can get tricky, did you do a continuity check on the cable once made? This should be the same as an Ethernet patch cable i.e. 1-1 etc. The terminology, for me is a little confusing, but if you notice the picture of the cable then one connector is "turned over" compared to the other one i.e. one has the latch up and the other does not, this and the numbering on the list show 1-1, 2-2, etc. I do not think you need 6-7 to be connected together even though it appears that way in the table. NOTE the part below the table; When connecting, the pin name at the RS485 port is connected to the opposite of that pin name at the destination device.

Since it appears to be a comm issue this is where I would look first. If you have a standard ENET patch cable available then try it.

Last edited:
I noticed that but if you look at the ports they are both shown the same way round. So I went for what the table says :

1 to 1 , 2 to 2 ,5 to 5 and 6 to 7

And no connection to 3,4,7and 8 on the RLC end

The only point I can see an issue is the connection of 6-7, so 2 things could be tried/checked. Is it connected to 6 and 7 on the correct ends? i.e the AB side needs to be connected to pin 7 and the RLC unit to pin 6, may need to swap ends.

This could be misleading and 6-7 may be COMM on both ends so 6 should connect to 6 and 7 to 7.

Thanks for that Bernie, it also has a table (on page 6) it shows
RLC AB
1 to 1
2 to 2
5 to 5
6 to 4

Where as on the cable data sheet it shows
RLC AB
1 to 1
2 to 2
5 to 5
6 to 7

Any one know which one's right

I can not overall see where 6, 7 or 4 matter, the second one shows 6 (COMM) to 4 (shield) so that would techically have no bearing on the communications...except to eliminate noise issues if there are any.

Did you check that 6 and 7, using existing cable, were on the right end?

Have you tried using a straight thru cable..will not hurt.

We can not be specific, why not contact Red Lion, their Prez and rep come to this site frequently but it is a weekend. I have tried to help mainly to keep this thread high hoping they would respond.

The sad part is you have not responded to anything suggested or requested, therefore someone else will have to assist you from this point forward.

Yep checked that 6 and 7 were right.Bit nervous about using a straight thru cable (brand new unit and don't want to damage it).

All ready contacted redlion (as it was Sunday I thought I'd try here as well).

I'm sorry if I have not got back to you with the information you requested ,I've be running between the PC and the production line as production keep breaking things .

Jezz,

Are you sure that your comm configuration in Crimson is set up correctly? (baud rates, parity, etc. must match PLC settings)
Also, I believe that the port mode has to be set to 2-Wire RS485 if you're using this cable.

-John

Yep first thing I checked were the settings ,Its set up to 2-Wire RS485 as well.

The strange thing is it's connecting some times then lossing it hence the data flashing.

The flashing indicates that both the cable and comms settings are correct. Are there any tags that are not blinking on the screen, IE that are always dashes? If so they are the problem, everything that is blinking is good, but there is something else we are requesting that is not responding.

Make sure that the PLC's data files are set up as follows:

B3 should have a length of at least 202.
I2, I4, I5, I6, N12, O7 exist in the PLC configuration.
N7 has a length of at least 7.
T4 has a length 227.

If you do not think that these sizes or addresses seem right, as far as the PLC code goes, you may want to verify that you did not 'fat finger' an address when configuring your tags.

Regards,

Thanks Dan I'll check it all out, as long as the conection is ok that was my only worry (don't want to fry the display with a bad cable :eek: ).

Got it sorted for some reason the I/O is mapping strangely, I:2.0 for example .

I:2.0 contains 193 yet when I call it into excel via DDE (just to test it) I get the value 2 returned ,if however I look at I:0.0 I get 193 returned and it's the same for all the Inputs regardless of there rack position they are mapped from I:0.0 to I:3.0 yet in the PLC the mapping is fine (very strange).