5TI sequencer instruction

fleastrup

I am upgrading an old 5TI sequencer PLC. I need a user/instruction manual for 5TI sequencer PLC to convert the existing ladder program. Can anyone help me ??

Thanks,

fleastrup said:
I am upgrading an old 5TI sequencer PLC. I need a user/instruction manual for 5TI sequencer PLC to convert the existing ladder program. Can anyone help me ??

Thanks,
Another thought, it will be far easier to just write new code for your application and the newer PLC than it will to try and convert the old 5TI code. They did not use ladder logic in those machines so it can be a bit of a challenge to understand what the original program actually did. Just a suggestion.

They didn't use ladder logic in 5TI's? What was it I learned ladder logic on all these years ago then? You could switch between ladder and symbolic code. It all depended on what you were using to program it. The handheld programmer had symbolic code only, but the VPU200 used both ladder and symbolic.

You're absolutely right about re-writing the code however. The 5TI had a very limited instruction set so there shouldn't be anything really tricky in the programme. Basic Boolean logic, plus timers and counters. Add a couple of jump and master control relay commands and that's it. No arithmetic, no compares, no register handling, no indirect addressing (phew!). How on Earth did we ever control anything in those days!?

Regards

Ken

Ken M said:
They didn't use ladder logic in 5TI's? What was it I learned ladder logic on all these years ago then? You could switch between ladder and symbolic code. It all depended on what you were using to program it. The handheld programmer had symbolic code only, but the VPU200 used both ladder and symbolic.
Ken

I must have gotten in earlier on the 5TIs than you Ken, there was no switching between anything on the programmer I used, which resembled an adding machine more than a programming terminal. I had a tough time with the STR, OR STR, and the like, untill I got a handle on it. It sure was easier programming the Mini-PLC2s when they came out. I thought I had died an gone to heaven. My first AB programming job was on the big "black box" that was just called a PLC and was that ever a challenge. No way would I ever go back to any of those machines, just way to spoiled now.

I too learned ladder programming typing on randylud's 5TI 'adding machine'. We had to draw our own diagrams. I got pretty fast at entry and troubleshooting. Though it was 'heaven' when I was able to actually program using graphic ladder symbols.

Just a bit of trivia, the case for the 5TI-2000 and later the 5TI-2001 was from a calculator TI also made. If memory serves the vacuum florescent display was also. They also call programming the 5TI programming in “mnemonics”.

Andy

AndyT said:
Just a bit of trivia, the case for the 5TI-2000 and later the 5TI-2001 was from a calculator TI also made. If memory serves the vacuum florescent display was also. They also call programming the 5TI programming in “mnemonics”.

Andy

I REMEMBER THAT! Thanks Andy! My memory of those days is getting a bit fuzzy but it can be jogged. Bernie, I am glad someone else remembers the "good old" days, or were they? Writing ladder type programs on paper we even still the way I had to do it when the newer systems came out. I still write all of my programs on paper first and teach my students to do the same. Thinking about your application and working on logic on paper is far better than staring at a blinking cursor and trying to think of what to do next off the top of your head. Or maybe I am just old fashioned!

Randy

I think my mistake was referring to it as a 'handheld'! We're talking about exactly the same thing. And although it was indeed styled like a desk-top adding machine sometimes you had no option but to support it perilously in one hand while trying to prod the keys with the other. The connecting cable to the sequencer always seemed to me to be a few inches shorter than was needed for whichever particular situation I found myself in. I'm sure it changed length between cabinets!

Ah sweet memories ... And kids these days, they just don't believe you when you tell 'em what it was like.

Ken

I know what you mean, and agree completely! I try to tell my students about using a "handheld" programmer and I even show them the one for the SLC. They just look at me like I must be having some kind of an attack. If they only knew!

Richie, is your offer good for other folks? I need a copy.

Any chance you can scan it and convert to pdf?

How big a manual is it?

Hi Botteman, it's not a huge manual and I dont have access to a pdf writer but I'll see what I can do. It might take a while but I'll get working on it. I'm new to forums so what do I do? Do I need your email address?