ASCII Reading help..

AmazingTrans

Gurus,

This is my first time working on serial motor interface through RS232. I have a 3rd party control which sends me a set of ASCII commands. I'm trying to seperate these sets of ASCII commands into 4 section, but I'm not sure how do I do that. Below is an example of commands that I will be receiving.

Unit#_Section_Amount_Direction "_" represents a space
(1-8) (U or L)(1-100)(LAG/LAO/CRT)

For the unit# it receives 1 or 2 or 3 till 8
Section U or L
Amount can be either number from 1 to 100
Direction can be LAG or LAO or CRT

Eg: 2 U 6 LAG
It means Unit 2 Upper move lateral gear

I hope someone out there knows how can I do this. Thank you.

I'm not a guru but a beginner, however, I did a small ascii project not too long ago. Not sure of your equipment but with a slc processor I used an aex command. ascii extract. Source is the existing string, index is the position you want to start with from 1 to 82 Number is the number of charactors you want 1 to 82 and distination is where you want to store the extraction.

Hope this helps.