Conversion from Compact Logix to Control Logix

plcnovel

Hi There
I am trying to maintian some standards. I have a standard code written for Compact Logix platform/Cimerx HMI for a specific application. I would like to make the same standard for Control Logix/Panel View for the exact same application. In other words, can i convert the exact same program (may be with little modifcations) for Compact Logix into Control Logix platform. Same is true for Cimerx to PanelView terminal. Anyway feedback is appreciated

Thanks

In RSLogix 5000, all you have to do is change the Controller Type and the program will be converted from CompactLogix to ControlLogix.

The principal thing that will not convert is the I/O structure. You'll have to re-define all the I/O modules and re-alias or re-address all the references to physical I/O in the program.

This is one reason to be diligent in using alias tags for I/O if you are writing a program that is intended to be migrated from one hardware platform to another within the Logix family.

You will not get the same sort of convertability between the Beijer CIMREX and A-B PanelView Plus HMI software. Different vendors, different software, more work for you.

Thanks Ron

Yeah the controller program conversion is not that bad, as they have the same platform (Logix5000). However, since i had a program written in Compact Logix platform with its on I/O module, and ofcourse the I/O mapping inside the program, is there a way, i can customization on I/O mapping inside my generic program. For example can i just temporarliy disable the I/O mapping part of the logix so that based on a specific hardware platform, i include/omit the mapping. Like i tried to use AFI instruction inside the Main routine which is calling all the Mapping I/O s routines. But during verification process, it still gives me errors regarding I/O modules. IS there a way around to disable tht code during Verification process?

One other thing to watch out for: If you have any analog IO, in the compact logix you had to scale the inputs and outputs whereas in the ControlLogix the IO card handles all of the scaling.