Solar Declination Problem

elevmike

I'm working on a Solar Tracker (for fun & games). The plan is to focus about 80 sq ft of 12" x 12" mirros on a boiler.

I actually have the tracker working using a data table I found on the net , however I'd like to replace the data table with a caluclation to free up user memory.

I'm not getting the expeceted results using the following formula to calculate the declination of the sun on a particular day of the year. Maybe somebody can tell me what's wrong here?

D = 23.45*SIN((360/365)*(284+N))

D = Declination in deg.

N = Julinan Day. (Jan 1 = 1, Jan 2 = 2.. Dec 31 = 365)

Any Ideas?

I don't think the vernal equinox happens on the exact same day and time for each year. In the Northern Hemisphere, it is around March 21, but it varies by about 5 hours each year.

Last edited: