Сoriolis flow meters question

girevik

Hello,

I need a flow meter (mass meter) for the liqid (such as molasses mostly) flow measurement and then control.. (continuous dosing in fact)

i was thinking about coriolis flow meters since they are pretty accuracy (I need 1% accuracy), but after browsing Siemens catalog i'm confused since it looks like they (for example SITRANS FC300) will work with high-pressure only (above 40 bars), but in my project there will be about 2-4 bars only...
am i reading something wrong or those flowmeters by siemens do really need such a high pressure?

and if you could suggest some coriolis flow meters working with low pressure like 2-4 bars, that would be great!

thanks!

In general, if you push a high viscosity liquid through a coriolis flowmeter, you get a fairly high pressure drop. You can increase the size of the meter to lower the pressure drop. This will cost more, and the flowrate must still be within the larger meter's operating range to maintain accuracy. But a larger meter can help. I usually use MicroMotion for mass flow, but there are several others available now.

In Micto Motion Meters specifications summary, there is a column Flow tube pressure rating (bar), does this mean maximal/minimal/recommend pressure?

The rating is the max. pressure. I have about 50 micromotion meters in service, the pressures range from 30-3000 psi.

I would recommend you contact MicroMotion via phone, the tech service people are top notch. If you give them the specifics of your application, they can size the meter for you and provide an exact pressure drop curve for you application.

Make sure you tell them you only need 1% accuracy, that will allow you to use one of the cheaper models.

Ken,

thanks for your help!

I have asked them through email already, so probably they will reply soon...

if it's not too hard for you, could you post here the model of MicroMotion meter working with 30 psi in your service? That would be very helpful...

better accuracy than 1% would be even better, cost does not matter...

thanks again!

girevik said:
Ken,

thanks for your help!

I have asked them through email already, so probably they will reply soon...

if it's not too hard for you, could you post here the model of MicroMotion meter working with 30 psi in your service? That would be very helpful...

better accuracy than 1% would be even better, cost does not matter...

thanks again!

I gather the cost doesn't matter means you're no longer doing for yourself, but getting paid bagloads of $$$$$ to do it for others?

Most of the meters I have are the Elite/CFM model, but I do have a few of the older "D" series also. The flow accuracy for the Elite series is +/- 0.05%, but it is the most expensive model. (very expensive)

You may want to take a look at the "F" series instead, accuracy is +/- 0.1-0.2%. The F series is cheaper than the elites, but still expensive.

Generally speaking coriolis meters of any make, are one of the most expensive insturments, and should only be used when extreme accuracy is required.