Compact Logix Firmware

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a new 1769-L35E Compact Logix processor. The Firmware Rev is 1.15. When I try to go online with the processor or download to it, I of course get a message about incompatible firmware. I am using ver 15.01 of RSLogix 5000. In controller properties my processor is listed as Rev 15.3. I clicked on update firmware but got a message saying controlflash.dll was not registered. Maybe I don't even have control flash installed. I looked at documentation but have not found the proper procedure to follow at this point. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Ok I figured out part of the answer by reading the installation instructions. (Imagine that). I'm still not sure about the best way to update the firmware.

Last edited:
Yup... That's the way AB ships them. You will need to go to the AB website and download the firmware update that up want to go to. You will need to register if you haven't before. Once downloaded, ControlFlash will run automatically and you will be able to select which processor you want to flash and which firmware you want to flash it to. Don't use a serial connection; it will take too long and you chance of bricking the PLC goes up. Hope that helps.

Oops...Just noticed that you have a CompactLogix. I've only worked on ControLogix, but the process should be the same.

Patrick

Firmware is always bundled into an installation of the ControlFlash utility. Firmware for all the controllers, comms modules, and I/O modules is included on the RSLogix 5000 CD, and can be downloaded individually or as a bundle from the Support.rockwellautomation.com website.

I usually use the BOOTP server to give a CompactLogix ethernet daughtercard an IP address, then perform the firmware download over the Ethernet link.

Ken Roach said:
Firmware is always bundled into an installation of the ControlFlash utility. Firmware for all the controllers, comms modules, and I/O modules is included on the RSLogix 5000 CD, and can be downloaded individually or as a bundle from the Support.rockwellautomation.com website.

I usually use the BOOTP server to give a CompactLogix ethernet daughtercard an IP address, then perform the firmware download over the Ethernet link.

I'm not sure what you're saying, but wouldn't you just browse through the backplane of the PLC/DF1 port and into the Ethernet card with RSLinx and then change the address from there?

I had not installed the ControlFlash app when I installed RSLogix 5000. I got it installed and did the firmware upgrade. Thanks for the help.

hey i am having the same problem ive set up the ethernet connection through rslinx but now when i do the control flash for 1769-L23E-QBFC1B it gives me a error message saying that "this module is not in the proper mode". not it is in the REM setting does it need to be in the PROG setting for the plc to update firmware? now im going from 1.16.2 to 17.4.59

any help would be much appreciated!

its been a while since i flashed mine, but im sure it is Run mode because when i did it i seam to remember thinking "i would have thought it should be program" let me know the out come for my own memory.