PC and PLC interfacing HELP

ravislal

Hi.
I am using the following setup and want to communicate with my AB ControlLogix 5563 PLC. This is the first time I have seen a PLC (read a bit about it during my Grad) and dont know how to go about it.
SETUP-

PC - WinXP (to be replaced by Linux finally)
CLX5563 with 10 slot chassis (CPU has a serial port)
Serial port connected to PC and PLC CPU

GOAL:
I want to communicate with the PLC using DF1 protocol (i heard that CIP messages are encapsulated within the DATA field of the DF1..)
The medium has to be Serial Port (hence DF1 on top of it)
Tasks to be accomplished:
1. Find out remotely on the PC which module is in which slot and type of module
2. Find out the status of the i/p or o/p bit on a module (say the status of the 30th input on a DCIN module)

SECONDARY GOALS: (for now)
3. remotely download and upload
4. go online

WHAT I HAVE DONE TILL NOW:
1. Obtained RSLOGIX5000 and RSLINX LITE
2. Ran RSWHO to find out the tree where all the modules are connected (shows the backplane, CPU and modules)
3. Sniffed the data and captured the bytes on Serial port
4. understood the DF1 protocol and the first Diagnostic packet which tells me which CPU is there (but not which slot)

WHAT DOCS I HAVE:
1. Logix5000 data access manual
2. DF1 protocol guide from AB.com

WHAT DOCS I NEED:
1. The internal architecture of the PLC where i can know where all the info related to my GOALS is there.
2. The registers and what they do .

Thanks in advance.. i am already tearing my hair out here ..

Ravi

Hi !

First in your RsLinx did you configure your DF1 driver to be able to see your ControlLogix in the Tree.

To do that go In Communications -*> Configure Drivers -> (In the Available Driver Choose RS232-DF1 Devices) then you will have the Config screen, you can use the auto config options or config by yourself.

Then you will be to go Online with your ControlLogix via DF1 port. Download and Upload will be available.

Hope this will help you !

hi .. thanks for the reply.
I am able to use RSLOGIX pretty well .. all the functions work . But I want to understand the process to follow from a program I MAKE.. not through RSLOGIX or any other software. This is related to the underlying protocol and PLC architecture rather than something done by RSLogix.
I think this will clear my query further.