RIO between PLC and SLC

zgozvrm

I have a configuration that is made up of a 16-slot PLC chassis with a 5/20E processor. Channel 1B is set up as a RIO scanner. The chassis is configured for 1-slot addressing and has input modules in the first 8 slots and output modules in the last 8 slots. Therefore, the chassis utilizes logical racks 0 and 1. It is connected to a DCM module in slot 4 of a 7-slot SLC chassis with a 5/04 OS401 Series C processor. The DCM is set up as a 3/4 rack at rack 2 with a starting group of 2. This gives me R/G/S addresses ranging from 022 to 027 in the PLC and 6 words (4.0 to 4.5) in both the input and output table for slot 4 of the SLC. (Actually, only 023-027 and 4.1-4.5, due to the need for a status word in the DCM).

I'm having no trouble passing information back and forth between the 2 processors using discrete I/O addressing (as described above).

My question is this: Is it possible to send data between the 2 processors by using block transfer instructions? If so, how?

1747-dcm

The 1747-DCM only supports discrete I/O data transfer. It does not support block transfers.

You could do your own multiplexing by reserving one of the seven data words as a transaction number, but otherwise it's simple discrete data transfer only.

Also be aware the 1747-DCM is a very seldom used module and has been put on the obsolesence path by A-B.

A similar function can be performed using a DeviceNet 1747-SDN in Slave Mode, or a ControlNet 1747-SCNR in Adapter Mode, so there are other products that will transfer more data, faster, on a modern network.