Horner OSC XLe series

testsubject

Hi guys. Just curious if anyone here has had any experience with this device. I recently became aware of them and I am very impressed with what they are capable of.

I'm also interested in them. I think the XLe is brand new. However, the other Horner OCS products have been out a while. MAybe we can get some insight on them?

I have never used one but one our maintenance techs went to a one day training session and was raving about them when he returned.
He said it was very easy to use.
I am not sure which model they worked with.

I have used a couple in the past. They are actually pretty nice units. With the built in interface, it is easy to program screens and manipulate the program.

They also have extremely viable networking options and a very easy to apply canbus.

David

I have started to use them for our scada network I am putting together. I must say that the unit I have been testing has performed very well. I am also happy with the tech support they offer and their own messaging boards they have. The units I have been working with are the XLE102. The program I have written so far comprises about 1100 lines of code, that is shrunk down from the 2800 line I started with. But at 1100 line of code the unit has an average scan time of 25.2 milli seconds, which I think for that size unit is quite impressive. I am using it with the XEC ethernet option and having it speak modbus tcp/ip. I can not wait till next month when it is said they are releasing the next version of firmware which will allow FTP and HTML access to the compact flash port on the unit.

The one thing that I dont like about them, but it could be in the mix to get upgraded at some point is you can not use 2 function keys at the same time. I mean to access the systems menu you use two buttons but that is hard coded into the firmware. I was hopping in my application that I could use two buttons to activate a menu to make it more secure but could not make it happen. At least not with the current firmware.

Right now what I am attempting to do is check out two scada software packages. One is CITECT and the other is Wonderware. Citect I have been having some amount of configuration luck with but Wonderware I have not, which is why you will notice a post where I ask if anyone has a quick start guide to walk one thru the setup of the software from the communications and protocol to the setting up of tags and sql.

Anyway if you have any particular questions about the XLE units please feel free to ask and I will attempt to answer them. But being as what I have seen so far, they are quite impressive.

davidg68124 said:
I have used a couple in the past. They are actually pretty nice units. With the built in interface, it is easy to program screens and manipulate the program.

They also have extremely viable networking options and a very easy to apply canbus.

David
I have used the XLe for a couple of apps.
Pretty good units especially for standalone machinery. They do come with high speed counter(s)inputs, PWM outputs and a display that can be used as a user interface for numerical entry, etc which was a steal for my apps for about $225.00 a piece.
Be aware that the Relay Outputs are rated @ 100,000 cycles when at full load.
The software can be obtained from horner at no charge.
C-Scape v8.1 I believe is the latest one.

Horner XLe series for remote solutions Ai Control Systems Opinion

Horner XLe series for remote solutions

1#
What Like about the Horner is that it is inexpensive and the software is free? As a systems integrator I make a small markup on software sales and my customers hate me for the bill. I would much rather they have the software for small issues they can solve themselves.
The communications options, Ethernet, Cellular (Data Plan), 900 MHz, dialup, especially the cellular, you can clear alarms by text message.
Lots of data storage space.
The price
What I don’t Like
The remote viewing software costs around $1000 per user.
The 900 MHz doesn’t have the niceties of a comparable MDS or ProSoft radio.
http://www.aicontrols.com

Last edited: