Serial Port Problem - Solution!

Jimmie_Ohio

I have had a nagging problem for the last two weeks (no, not my wife). I just discovered the solution to the problem that is easy and probably helps out many newbies...

THE PROBLEM:

I was running RS NetWorx for DeviceNet on my desktop computer. I played with a 1770-KFD and had no problems. All ran well until the end of the day. The next morning, I come in, boot my computer, it starts up Windows, then logs off and shuts down. I boot up again, it shuts down. I'm pretty smart, so after ten times of this garbage, I start investigating.

After playing with Windows and starting in safe mode, etc., I found comm port conflicts. This also happens with RS Logix 500 (which of course attaches with RS Linx) and HyperTerminal (which I used to play with a ProSoft ModBus interface card in my SLC500 chassis.)

THE SOLUTION:

This has worked every time. All I do before switching programs that use my serial port is go into > control panel > system > hardware > ports and uninstall COM1. Then I re-boot the computer and run the next program I need, reconfiguring the comms, if necessary.

Hope this helps those who get as frustrated as me. At least the one good thing about Windows XP is that it tends to "find" all the hardware you delete.

Medoc comp port issue

I was able to read plc using this com port. until recently failed. went into control panel device manager com & lpt below it says foxcom serial WDM Device(com1) if i right click this, is it possible to disable and be able to read the medoc plc? what happens when i go back to work on the foxcom instruments?