World Cup

TimeFluxCap

Hi guys, when the super bowl was on you US guys had a PLC to work out the result. Does it work for the cricket world cup too? Or does it need a new firmware revision?
Go the Oz 8/310 of our 50.

In case our American friends have never heard of Shane Warne, I will put you in the picture

In my opinion, and many other's too, Shane warne is / was probably the best spin bowler the cricketing world has ever seen, unfortunatley for us English, he is Australian.

But, due to, what I believe was mis-guided medical advice he has been found to have taken a proformance enhancing drug.

The Cricket world cup will be poorer for his absence.

Paul

I have spent a day or 2 abroad but never got use to some of the terms. Everytime I hear cricket I think of croquet, which we southern born US people have a tendency to pronounce it cricket. Some of you call soccer..football..or is it rugby? I have never understood the differences but know that there there is one there somewhere.

Would one you over the pond explain the difference?

BTW this is a plc site so some mention of PLC should be used. Maybe someone could figure out how to have a plc explain all this.

We have Pesäpallo here as BaseBoll and we are the Best in all World, becource they don't pley it anywere els than here and we very proud of it.

Apparently Warnies "mum" gave him the pill!

It wasnt a performence enhancing drug, just a diuretic anti inflammotry pill but tis still banned. Hes my hero but for the million odd bucks he get a year he should know better!

Barry
Oh damnit... how can I comment on cricket I am english!!!
We play you blokes in soccer tonight and Im pretty sure you will be able to extract revenge.

Gerry - I got your boys at 15 - 1 to win the world cup two months ago, I want the Oz boys to win but............

Ron
Soccer is what us Aussies and you guys call what the Europeans call football.
Rugby is game like gridiron but you cant through the ball foward and they wear no padding. The rugby union world cup is later on this year, tune in. I was actually watching a charity game of rugby league last night between a bunch of old guys who used to play for StGeorge and an American All Star Team. Apparently there is 10 teams in the US now and lots of junior teams.
Cricket is a bat and ball game played on a big oval (pitch) where the bowler cant bend his arm (throw) when he "bowls" the bowl at the batsmen. The "pitch" is a strip of dried turf that the bowler must bounce the ball off once before the batsman gets to hit it ( very rough explanation.
The cricket world cup is on now. It only happens every four years so it is a very exciting time. They play one dayers at the world cup, test matches go for 5 days with two innings each over those five days!
try this link for results
www.baggygreen.com.au

I prefer Aussie Rules football though try this link
www.afl.com.au

Cricket is a wonderful game and one I played for many years.
To explain even the basic rules to someone who has never seen the game could prove to be quite a task.

I played ‘wicket keeper’ for Heckmondwike second eleven for 20 years. (the town called Heckmondwike really exists)
I am now paying for this position with creaking knees and bad hip joints. (Crouching behind the stumps for hours at a time)

One of the things I have heard that none cricketers don’t understand is that, if you start in the morning, then around 12:30 pm you break for lunch.
Everybody comes off the pitch and has lunch. The two teams dine together in perfect harmony.
Later in the day you also break for tea.
Once again everyone comes off and has a sit down meal in the pavilion. Then play is resumed again.

There are two umpires (referees) They make all the decisions and keep count of balls bowled per over.
They also decide wether a cricketer is out or not.
If they say you are not out (and you were legally out) Then, you are not out.

Runs are scored on how many times you run between the wickets (grounding your bat each time in the wicket area)
If the ball goes over the pitch boundary but touches the ground before getting there, 4 runs are scored.
If it goes over the boundary without touching the ground then 6 runs are scored.

Each team bats until everyone is out (or, in limited overs rules, each team has the same amount of overs) then the team with the highest score wins.
But, in league cricket there are such things as winning draws and losing draws.

You might think that when a cricketer goes out to bat the object would be to hit the ball clean over the boundary every time and rattle off 6 after 6.
This would be frowned upon by the team captain and you would quickly find yourself dropping down the batting order and eventually out of the team.

6's are only usually scored when either, things are desperate or the bowler bowls you a dolly. (Now what’s a dolly?)

I hope this clears up the rules of cricket. :(

NB: PLC’s could be used for controlling the scoreboard. Not only displaying the present score but average runs, runs per over needed, comparison graphs for each teams scoring etc.