adjustable counter presets

bononn

I'm working with a Keyence KV16 PLC. I need to allow the operator to enter a preset for a counter (3 through 11) for a compare function (if the counter does not reach the preset value before a different input signal comes in, an output is triggered). My programmers books do not show how to do this. Will I have to actually create 9 different counters, each with its fixed preset? In any case, is there a way to display which preset is entered? (My PLC has a display feature).
I was planning to use either a rotary digital switch or else use repeated button presses to increment to the desired preset value. Any suggestions?

Bo

I'm not sure about the Keyence, but there should be a function to alter the preset.

In Rockwell it's Mov Wanted_Value to MyCounter.Pre

In AutomationDirect they allow you to use a variable in the Preset of counters & timers.

Do you have a link to the manual in PDF form?

Wow! This is fast!
I don't know about a link to the manual, but Keyence supplies three gigantic PDF's on their Ladder Builder software disk. The PDF names are "96MO364KV1, 96MO365KV2, and 96MO366KV3" These manuals run to 4-500 pages each, and it would take days to upload them on my dial-up connection.
I've had no luck using the PDF search function for counter presets. Any suggestions on some generic search words that might turn up a variable preset?

Thanks for taking the time...

Bo

Thanks. I did get a book from Keyence called "Visual KV Series Beginner's Manual: Basic Instructions" I'll check to see if it's the same one.
The book has only a few lines about counters - no word about linking the preset to a user-entered value.
Much obliged to you.

Bo

About the Keyence Operator Manual...

CroCop said:
It should be under the counter section.
I'll dig & see if I can find the PDF manual.........

I've managed to convert the PDF manual to Word. I'm attaching the table of contents section for your inspection. If you tell me which part(s) are of interest, I'll extract them and attach them next time.
This particular PDF is (only) about 3MB, so if this forum will allow it, I could attach the whole thing.

Thanks again,

Bo

Thanks much! While I have your attention....

TSmith said:
See if this will help. Instructions Sta or Tmin should allow you to change counter presets

This looks just like what I need. I found the relevant pages in the KV manual as well - I'd never have thought to look there.

There's one other matter. I expect to do the presetting by having the operator press a button the required number of times, incrementing the counter preset each time. I'd like to be able to display the counter preset. Is there any way to display the current value of the preset on the PLC itself? This Visual KV unit has a numeric display. Could you point me to the appropriate page of the KV manual?
If this is not feasible, I would need to add a circuit to light a string of LED's or else to drive a seven segment display.
Again, thanks very much for your help.

Bo