Monitor power supply voltage on SCADA

Engineer1

Hi All,

Thanks for the great help... here I go again...

I need to monitor the power supply voltage going into sliprings, basically from a 24v power supply. But I want to monitor this via a momentum PLC. Basically something similar to a multimeter with outputs. Only I just need the voltage only.

Basically the system suffers power dips now and again. When the slip rings (copper based) are getting dirty, I just need to monitor when the supply voltage begins to drop indicating that the slip rings are getting dirty and then get them cleaned.

Help will be greatly appreciated. I tried looking around this site for a similar problem, but it looks like I am out of luck.

Thanks,

I have seen battery voltage in remote panel SCADA systems monitored by using a voltage divider (2 resistors) sized so that 24V would be ~5V into an analog card. A voltage input should have a high enough impedance that it's current draw can be neglected in the votage divider equation, but you can check to be sure by looking at the specs for the card.

If your looking for a specific value of voltage, say 22.2V, then get a converter that can take your 0-25V and turn it into your analog input. If your looking for if it drops below 19.9V I have used voltage relays, that I set the drop out voltage and it becomes a digital input to the PLC.
George

thanks guys... had a look around and found that a transducer could do what i am asking for. but for the price, it is not worth it.

what i am simply needing now is a contact that will go on when a voltage larger that 24V DC passes through, and go off when the voltage drops below 20V DC, this can be a digital input signal to my momentun PLC.

a fancy proximity switch if you ask me.Is there a product like this out there? cheaper than a transducer off course.

Take a 24v relay and put a 10K pot on the + side. Turn the pot down till the relay drops out then up till it comes on.

Just an idea.