toshiba ex100 parts

AndrewB

hello
does anyone know if you can still get parts for a Toshiba EX100 PLC? we have 3 in service running some boilers which are concerning me as they are getting very old.

rang toshiba. They are getting back to me.........................

You do know that Cutler Hammer brand labeled some of the Toshibas, I am fairly certain that the EX100 and 150 were 2 models. The point is that you may be able to use sites like www.plccenter.com to find surplus parts that are sometimes new/never used if you can not obtain parts from the manufacturer. I think they have been a legacy product for at least 7 or 8 years.

I would seriously consider working on converting the program to a newer model or another brand of choice, does not mean you have to change the plc just be prepared for the day when it is impossible to get a replacement or parts and a unit goes bad.

Just a thought, usually legacy products bring a premium price if they are available, it may be cheaper to just convert them over to something newer.

Thanks for the reply. yes im aware of the cutler hammer thing and also thats its way overdue for replacement...

My grand plan is to roll the 3 ex's into a single processer controllogix with 3 racks on controlnet. Just need to put up a project to try and get it through...

What really scares me is we have no spares at all for it

I have repaired many of these models.
The only thing that has gone wrong with them was the output relays.

The pcb inside is easy to get out and the relays are standard 24V dc pcb relays. (I remember I had to cut off the n/c leg of the new relays.)

My grand plan is to roll the 3 ex's into a single processer controllogix with 3 racks on controlnet. Just need to put up a project to try and get it through...

I assume that the EX100's were used originally in a standalone configuration.

With that in mind, can the 3 systems run independently?

If all the above is correct then I would reconsider using one processor. I would look at using 3 Compactlogix with Ethernet. This would still allow the system(s) to run independently. Communication, if needed, would be easy to establish and programming could be done thru a network or....

It is my understanding that Compactlogix units are still being promoted so can be purchased at a lower cost then other AB units. It may be worth investigating, this would offer the latest technology, could allow one system to be replaced at a time (depending) which could lower or eliminate downtime issues, and
may cost less therefore easier to get the budget for.

Will stick with contrologix as its our site standard, we already have spares etc.etc...... Good call on the compact logix though, didnt even give them a thought, but will stick with CLX just to keep it the same as everything else....

the 3 ex100s are in the same panel side by side & are networked via 485.

Not so the each section of plant can run independant as they all rely on each other, but just because theres a stack of IO.

The site engineer at the time liked to put seperate processors in for everything.

We recently did a turbine monitoring system. He wanted to have a seperate control logix processors for each of our baby 2 x 4mw turbines and one for the water systems. This seems to be a bad form of reliability as there are more things to fail. expecially as its only monitoring (no control) and PLC's have plenty of grunt these days.. we went for 1x control logix with a redundant powersupply.