excitation

What a great link! Have not played with these things since I was an apprentice - a decade or five ago.

Generally, synchronous motors are used for synchronous speed and to improve power factor. I have never really heard of a "synchronous" generator. All generators are driven at synchronous speed by the engine.

Is this a "trick" student question?

Bob, the term synchronous generator is probably a misnomer. It is used here in the US, and seemingly other places, to describe the use of a 3 phase induction motor as a generator driven by some prime mover. The practice is often used for peak shaving but the characteristics of the induction motor do not make it capacitive as I understand it. DickDV will doubtless have more precise info on this subject.

Doing a little research on the subject of leading power factor and motors, I find that you can use a synchronous motor in that fashion by over-excitation of the rotor. This may be what the original question was really about.

randylud said:
Doing a little research on the subject of leading power factor and motors, I find that you can use a synchronous motor in that fashion by over-excitation of the rotor. This may be what the original question was really about.

/nod. I got heavily into large synchronous motors at one site that had a 2500HP one, virtually never used, and the electrical supervisor heard about using them to correct power factor.
At the time, they were running a pretty bad lagging PF, and were considering an expensive switched capacitor set. In the end, we brought it to near unity with just the motor.