Simatic 535 question?

Johnny T

I'm looking to upgrade an old Simatic 535 PLC to a new S7 300 range PLC and I just have a few questions..

Firstly, is it possible to get online with Siemens S5 to the Simatic 535 in order to upload the code? I notice that it has what looks like a 15 pin RS232 port on the front and not TTY. Would I need a different lead to get online with it and if I had the right lead would S5 do it or would I need another software package.

The Simatic 535 has a Brodersen 2 line text display attached to it. It looks like this unit is just fired by 8 outputs in order to dictate which message it shows. Can anyone clarify / confirm this?

Many thanks

JT ;-)

I don't know about the display, but yes using Step 5 programming package you can upload the current code to a laptop.

You can plus into your serial port on a laptop, but you will need a Siemens 232/TTY converter.

Not sure why you would want to upload though, as you cannot use the S5 program in S7, there is a conversion program but I'm not sure how good it is.

Uploading the code will give you undocumented code which is a lot of work, the better way would be to find the documented code and compare it to PLC.

I doubt you will be able to go on line with the S5 software, the 535 was originally a Texas Instruments Processor, and used Ti-Soft software. The dip switches on the front determine the baud rate etc....
I don't have a manual for the 535, but it may be similar to the 565's which also has 25 pin com ports. On a 565 the dip switch settings are:
port 1
sw3 sw4 sw5
19200 on on on
9600 on on off
2400 on off off
300 off off off

port 2
sw6 sw7 sw8
19200 on on on
9600 on on off
2400 on off off
300 off off off

The switches are only read at start up, so if you change them, you will have to stop and start the plc to get the changes.

I believe the communication protocol is NITP. (non intelligent terminal protocol)

If you can obtain a copy of the plc program on disk, and post it to the board, I can print it out as a PDF file for you.

Last edited:
Peter, no problem mate (you had my hopes up there for a moment).

Ken a big thanks for the offer.

I wanted to upload the code so that I could convert it myself into S7. I'm not sure there is a copy anywhere but I'll have a dig around. If that fails I'll just have to rewrite it from scratch (not a prospect that I relish).

Anyone know where I'd get a copy of Ti-Soft? Do they still sell it?

Also, if the software is available, is it just a RS232 lead that's required to talk to the thing?

Thanks for all the help so far

JT ;-)

I do not know if you can still purchase Ti-soft or not, it was a DOS based program, and was replaced by Workshop 505, which is somewhat expensive, I believe the cost is arount 1250 pounds.
Take a look here: http://www.tirepair.com/prog.htm#WS

Since you only want to download the existing code, you would only need the software once, I would recommend you pay someone who already has the software and communication cable to download and print it for you.

This link has a lot of vendors on your side of the pond:
http://www.tirepair.com/local_support.htm

Brilliant info Ken. Thanks for the links to the list of repairers etc..

Much appreciated.

I'll post back if I need more info on the subject.

JT ;-)

Hi Johnny (o:
Are you working on old PMN-palletizers again ? If you download the code you don't get the comments, be aware of that. Do the costumer have a disc with the original programme, then you will be able to print from there, with comments.
The Brodersen display, you can access with an AT-keyboard and readout the texts, as I remember you just have to change a switch on the display and power down and power on again, then it will be in "Edit-mode".
If you have any specific questions to the code, I can try to help you out, I used to programme those things.

Last edited:
Hi Steffen

Yep, they are old PMN palletisers.. how did you guess ;-))

Do you know whether the Brodersen displays are just operated via outputs to give it a binary code of what message to display or do they actually use comms like RS232 or 485 or something?

I don't think there is a disk with the code on but they are still looking at the moment and haven't got back to me yet so time will tell... if not I'll just rewrite the code from scratch in which case your offer of help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

JT :)

Hi Johnny (c;

They are operated by Outputs, at least the one one your Machine, I think that was a version with some serial com's, that came out later.
Sorry the long response, I've just been on holiday.
I used to work for PMN, thats why it looked familiar, from where does the machine come from, it might have been some of my old costumers ?

I had to order the software for a TI505 project I have coming up.

To order Workshop software through Siemens AU$8500 for Softshop which is sold by a US company to my Aussie dealer AU$2500, I ask my supplier what is the difference he says the same, but then I ask what is the difference in software, he say the box it comes in!!!!!

Guess which one I ordered!!!

i have software copy ti-soft,,it is just copy and paste dos based software...if you able to upload the program of s5..there are tool in simatic S7 that convert program directly from S5 to S7..

Last edited:
Thanks all for the info, greatly appreciated.

Steffen, the company is a paint company from Blackburn called Akzo Nobel. Not sure if this was one of the projects you worked on or not. The machine is very old but still in good mechanical working order.. it just needs a new PLC..

Cheers

JT ;-)

It's properply the old Crown Paint in Darwen. If it's a TI535 it can't be that old. I remember Crown some old semi-automatic Machine with 5TI, they are around 30 years old, I didn't install them, but I've been there to check up on them several times. Do you work with the lad's in the workshop, they might remember me still.

Cheers :D