general question-- electrical mechanical relays

joejoe

HI-first time.Is this an appropriate question? where would I find info about electrical mech relays? I want to start/stop a function along its travel using air cylinders and solinods. thanks-----joe

More info needed

This place might be as good as any, depending on what you are asking. Are you looking for information as in a vendor? Or are you just looking for information as to how a relay works? Inform us more of what you are looking for, and we will be of more help.

Russ

hi again.about my relay question--I am not asking as a vendor question but as a how-to.Currently a can do the function with a lot of hand flipping of switchs(time consuming and I have to keep the sequence correct).I would like to use one switch.

I think joejoe has not become familiar with the site to be able to find his original thread; therefore I am bringing back.

From the little information that joejoe has given I will "assume" he is wanting to develop an automated process for his woodworking shop.

Also from his posts I gathered that he has minimal electrical knowledge, at least in the area of automation. This site may also offer some help for the electrical:
http://www.sea.siemens.com/step/default.html

Several brands of PLC was mentioned, do you have software and cables for programming any of them? One option if you do not have any software may be to sell them on ebay and use that money to purchase something new(er).

Another option if this is a simple system is use a smart relay that can be programmed thru its interface. An example smart relay: http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/pico/index.html

So joejoe, if you provide more details and keep it in one thread then you will get an abundance of help.

relay help

wow-that is what I call assistance.with those sites you mention I have some homework to do.The plcs have cables,but software(I don"t know where to look).there are plenty of machines in woodworking that would make life easier(i.e. dovetailing draws). My machine I want to do now is precesion boring for dowels. A router is mounted in line on a slider(with bearings) and air cyclinder.A cyclinder is used as a holddown against a reference fence.Push the button,the router advances to the end and returns.I wish......I know it can be done with a elect relay but how to wire it? The momentary switch activates the relay,moves the router,hits the second momentary switch and returns home.I tried wiring today and blew a few fuses.

joejoe said:
I tried wiring today and blew a few fuses.

Don't feel bad thats what they are for...

You can do this several ways..look for demo software if you want to use a plc and by all means read the sites that Ron has provided.

And/Or meanwhile we (plcs.net :site: ) will make a schematic for you to wire it by...it seems easy enough

A little more detail...

Lets see if we get it, what moves the router? a motor? or is that also a air cylinder, whats the voltage?...can you take a picture? (you know the picture and 1000 words thing)

Also Ron has some good basic electrical on his site you should check there as well

http://www.patchn.com

I made a reply that I lost, glad I did because it was totally irrelevant overall.

What components specifically are you working with, especially what brand/model relay(s) so we can find the wiring details.

At this point I see you have a hold down clamp air cylinder.
Air cylinder to extend the router.
The router which I assume is standard 120vac fractional HP.
I assume limit switches for each end of travel.

Are the air solenoids/cylinders single acting or dual.
Will you be using flow control, or something, to regulate the speed of the cylinder to prevent bang-bang?

If this is correct then the process should be simple and we can help with a drawing and details. So far it does not appear elaborate enough to use a plc. Let us know.

Something like this may work...as Ron said if we have the P/N's then we can give you numbers on the contacts, that you can land your wires to..this is with a jog option at no added cost

Print.gif

PS...Boy's flame away...I don't wear my feelings on my sleeve

I can not say much because I did the same thing originally
BUT
The router forward and reverse is being done thru a pneumatic valve and air cylinder, that is why I asked about double actiong etc.

I "assume" the hold down clamp should be in position first, start router, delay, THEN activate air cylinder to move router forward and reverse.

I started one that is similar to yours but decided to wait to see what components were being used. I am thinking it may need a delay timer between hold down/router start, and the extend of the cylinder.

I have some HONEYDOS so not sure when I can finish a drawing.