Control logix program missing?

rob allan

I am currently on site. This morning I came into a breakdown sitation. A machine which I had been carring out mods on recently had lost its program. the processor is a controllogix with revision 10.25 firmware.
I downloaded the plc and the machine is up and running again but obviously this is something I dont want to happen again. The battery is fine and the power has not been off to the machine.
Could this be a firmware issue or down to a faulty processor.
The same problem happened on 3rd July.

Cheers Rob

I know earlier SLCs had this issue anytime some device was connected to the DF1 port on the CPU, such as a modem or a DF1 HMI. Is there a device connected to this port on the Clgx CPU. If so, you need one of those ferrite surge suppressors that clamp around the cord of the DF1 device.

We also had another application where memory loss started to randomly occur after years of operation. What that ended being was a small leak in a confuit fitting allowing water to drip onto the backplane of the CPU rack.

Its always best to keep the firmware up to date. The Clgx family really did not become a more depenendable and robust product from V12 and up. Current is V15.04.

But this is where Rockwell get you, in order to update firmware to V15, you also need to update the RSlogix5000 as well. Rockwell's solution to downward compatibility was to maintain multiple versions of RS5000 V10,V11,V12,V13 & V15 bundled into the one package.

You have to be carefull when upgrading firmware though, as you should also update any commincation cards in the rack as well, such as the 1756-CNB, 1756-DHRIO, 1756-ENBT's etc. Best to update on a down day as it can take 1 minute or 1 day to do.

Ian

Hi again thanks for that reply.

Ive spoken to afriend who had a similar problem around a year ago on a water treatment site again with version 10 firmware. I am hoping to go back to site tommorow to do the upgrade when there is no production.

So does the ethernet card in the rack also need upgrading at the same time?

Also are there any technotes on upgrading firmware or is it pretty straightforward as I have not done it before.
Are there any risk involved in doing it.
This is a running plant and I definetly dont want to leave the customer up the creek without a paddle :)

If you come out to the curb in the morning and see your garbage can knocked over, do you think "raccoons" or do you think "platypus" ?!

Since the controller has to be several years old and the reported faults are on 3 July and 14 July during modifications to the program (and probably to the system it is controlling), my focus would be on installation instead of processor hardware or firmware.

The usual recommendations are still valid; check your grounding, check for unsuppressed inductive loads, and check the routing of communication cables that connect to the controller.

If this is a 1756-L55 controller, consider getting the nonvolatile memory board, so that if memory loss occurs again you can reload the controller with just a power cycle. I recommend that for any application where there is minimal technical staff onsite.

Be diligent if you choose to upgrade controller firmware. Versions after v10 take up more memory for the firmware and for the program file and it's possible for a large v10 program to outgrow your controller. Back up the controller program file in v10, and have both the new firmware and v10 firmware ready to load into the controller.

Any vintage of 1756-ENET or -ENBT firmware will work with the controller, but I generally recommend upgrading the EtherNet/IP module firmware along with the controller.

rob allan said:
Hi again thanks for that reply.

Ive spoken to afriend who had a similar problem around a year ago on a water treatment site again with version 10 firmware. I am hoping to go back to site tommorow to do the upgrade when there is no production.

So does the ethernet card in the rack also need upgrading at the same time?

Also are there any technotes on upgrading firmware or is it pretty straightforward as I have not done it before.
Are there any risk involved in doing it.
This is a running plant and I definetly dont want to leave the customer up the creek without a paddle :)
What version firmware are you upgrading to? I assume that you have the latest V15, therefore, you have V15 of Rs5000

v10 was the first software to support the 1756-L63/A, but most controllers sold in that timeframe were -L55's, and the -L1 was still for sale.

The label on the controller will read "Logix 5555" for a 1756-L55, and "Logix 5550" for a 1756-L1. It's unlike that you have a -L53 or -L63.

Remember that the -L1 is only upgradable to v13 firmware. It's always good to have a support contract in times like these because you have access to every software version and all the firmware.