How to add racks/panelview on RIO scanner

blackrm

Hello,

I currently have a Panelview tied to a SLC 5/04 with a 1747-SN scanner and it is working ok. I'm trying to add another partial rack (with a 1747-ASB module) and another Panelview to it. Seems easy enough by looking at the manual, but I'm having trouble implementing it. The ASB module is faulting and I'm not positive I'm addressing it or the Panelview correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Bob

In RSLogix 500, go into the I/O configuration, open up the 1747-SN configuration and click on the "G-file" button. Take screenshots or post the configurations of the 1747-SN and the "G-file" within.

The 1747-SN User Manual is very clear, but you are dealing with adapter devices that themselves have variable configurations, so you have more factors to consider.

Post more info (or post the RSLogix 500 file) and help will follow.

I once added a couple remote I/O "bricks" to a SLC-5/04 via a scanner card and found that the I/O "Bricks", which only have 16 inputs and 16 outputs ... basically equal to one input card and one output card ... required the address of a quarter rack or 4 slots. What a waste of addressing! I discovered this when I went to add the second "brick". The first "brick" went in fine. I added it right after the SLC rack address. The second "brick" ... I tried to add right after the first "brick's" address. Not good ... FAULT. So ... after tinkering around ... I tried assigning the second "brick" to the next quarter rack address. Now it works. Go figure. Worst case ... try assigning the remotes with at least a quarter rack spread in the addressing, or even a full rack spread. If it works ... try tightening up the addressing to close the addressing gaps until it faults. Might be worth a try. But it does sound like an addressing issue for sure. Since you've installed a PV already ... you know the scanner works and the SLC has the PV's rack assignment addressing.
- Tony

Oh ... But if you're adding a second physical rack ... why not cable the two back-planes together. Are they in different enclosures? I've never tried adding a SLC rack with remote I/O. I've only seen this done with PLC5's.

... and don't forget to move the terminating resistor down to the last remote I/O device.

Last edited:
The two racks are going to be on opposite sides of the room (30ft apart), otherwise I probably would have tried tying them together. The RIO "looked" so simple... Here's the basic configuration and what I would like to add. (see the attachment)

It *is* simple ! You're most of the way there.

Since the existing PanelView is using up all of Logical Rack 00, then the next device is going to be Logical Rack 01 (your I/O chassis), and the device after that will be Logical Rack 02 (the new PanelView).

Because you have six I/O slots, configure your 1747-ASB to be six logical groups, starting at Logical Rack 01. Post the switch settings if you need to, and folks can help you compare them to the 1747-ASB manual.

The 1747-SN only scans the devices that you configure it to scan in the "G-file".

In the G-file configuration, check the first box for Rack 01 and configure it for 3/4 Rack. That will be your 1746 chassis.

In the G-file configuration, check the first box for Rack 02 and configure it for Full Rack. That will be what you set up your new PanelView for.

Don't use complementary addressing; it's a relic from PLC-2 days and you don't need it.

The analog I/O in that remote chassis is going to require block transfer instructions. Get the discrete stuff working first.

The biggest problem I always have is, is a 1/4, 1/2 3/4 or full rack. Other than that they usually hook right up. Make sure you have the right size in their.

OK. Thank you. I think the most difficulty I have now is determining how to configure the ASB module. Is is Logical Rack 2 with logical starting group 0 (or because it's still part of the scanner, rack 1 starting somewhere else)?

I think some of your confusion is coming from the adaptation of PLC-2/3/5 RIO technology to the SLC.

In the PLC family of controllers, the Remote I/O network extends the I/O table that begins with the local chassis. Usually your local chassis with the PLC controller was Rack 00, then the first RIO chassis was Rack 01, and so on.

In the SLC with this scanner, the terms "Logical Rack" still get used, but all the I/O shows up like it's in one slot of the SLC chassis. Your local I/O in the SLC has nothing to do with the numbering of the remote chassis "Logical Rack" numbers.

I suggest that your network look like this:

Logical Rack 00 Full Rack PanelView (existing)
Logical Rack 01 3/4 Rack 7-slot chassis (new)
Logical Rack 02 Full Rack PanelView (new)
Logical Rack 03 unused

Your 1747-ASB should be configured for Logical Rack 01, starting group 00, data size 6 Groups. You will definitely use block transfers, so stick with normal addressing.

Ken,

I think my confusion comes from looking at the manual and thinking that you'll be able to see the remote I/O the same way you would on a local rack (most especially the analog inputs), when in reality (I think ;-)), you see the addresses I:1.0 - I:1-31 and O:1.0 - O;1.31 (This addressing come from the RIO scanner that is located in the local rack slot 1???) split among the logical racks connected to the scanner and there is more work required to transfer the data from the analog input module (by using block transfers).

Also, I noticed while searching for info on the RIO scanner, that a 1747-DCM module could do(?) the same transfer of data between SLC racks. Is this a better choice for talking between racks?

Thank you for your help.
Bob

Hello Ken,

"Your 1747-ASB should be configured for Logical Rack 01, starting group 00, data size 6 Groups. You will definitely use block transfers, so stick with normal addressing.Your 1747-ASB should be configured for Logical Rack 01, starting group 00, data size 6 Groups. You will definitely use block transfers, so stick with normal addressing."

I've configured the ASB as rack 01 (swithes 1-5 on and 6 off on SW-1), logical group 00 (switches 7 & 8 on, on SW-1) and data size 6 groups (5,6 & 8 on and 7 off on SW-2). I'm still getting a fault light on the ASB module with the number 8 on the status display. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

I think I'm beginning to see how the RIO is supposed to work, if I can get the ASB module going, we'll see if I can get the block transfers organized for the analog modules.

Thank you for your help.
Bob