What software is required?

Chip Virtual

We have a machine consisting of a Logix5550 controller with an analog encoder input module (1756-MOA2E) and a Panelview 700 connected together with a Netgear switch.

What do I need to edit, manage this?

RSlogix5000 + RSLinx?

You will need RSLogix 5000 for programming the control logix controller. You will need a version of RSLinx higher than Linx Lite. I use RSLinx Professional. And you will need RSView 32 for the panelview 700.

vettedrivr made some errors, there.

You need RSLogix 5000 programming software. Probably your system was written in relay ladder logic only (ask the original programmer if he used Function Block Diagram or Structured Text languages), so you only need the Standard package.

You don't need a licensed version of RSLinx. RSLinx Classic "Lite" will provide the services that RSLogix 5000 needs to connect to the controller.

You need RSView Studio for Machine Edition to edit a "PanelView 700".

The terminal is more accurately called a "PanelView Plus 700", to distinguish it's product line from the Standard PanelView terminals (there's no "700" Standard).

Since you did not mention any ControlNet or DeviceNet networks, you won't need those configuration packages.

Unfortunatly Clgx is very version dependant. You will need to know from the OEM what version Clgx they used. If you have Rslogix V13, you cannot edit a V15 program. If you have an upto date version of Rslinx, it will at least tell you via RSWho what version the Clgx CPU is.

In my opinion, eventhough the Clgx is a superior PLC than any other, where it fails though is its version dependant software programming environment

Ian

Thank you for your responses. I will find out how the program was written.

Assuming I can use the standard version of RSLogix5000 along with RSView Studio ME and RSLinx CLassic Lite, would I be able to do all communication through the Netgear Switch, or would I have to plug into the PV+700 and PLC seperately?

You should be able to plug into the switch and see all the devices on ethernet using RSlinx. (all AB products I should say).

Marc

Last edited: