snp,modbus rtu

They are two serial communications protocols. You can think of them as the 'language' spoken by two pieces equipment that need to pass information between them.

Both of them are master/slave protocols. That means that one of the devices is designated as the master, the other device is the slave. The master device is the one that initiates all communications. The slave can only respond to communications commands from the master.

SNP is a GE Fanuc standard. Modbus RTU came from Modicon PLCs, but is now in widespread use. When you need to provide serial communications between devices from two different manufacturers, Modbus is quite often the only protocol supported by both.

The details of the Modbus RTU protocol are publicly available. The details of the SNPX protocol are also publicly available. SNPX is a stripped-down version of SNP, limited to passing data between PLCs.

For more details, you can go to this website:

http://globalcare.gefanuc.com/search/glbCareProdManuals.asp

and find the manual GFK-0582.