slc 5/4 communication problem

jugenzhu1963

Hi everybody

my company got a used machine which used ab slc5 (cpu 1747-l542).the RS232 port connecting to HMI.now i try to use this port to communicate with plc. i configure the rslinx with RS232 DF1 device.i connect my computer with plc and open rs logix 500 software configure the controller matching the one on the machine also configure the communication. when i try to go online pop up message that said "the target node is not an slc-500 or micrologix controller". i checked in the rslinx and find there is big red X on the icon. what is the problem ? anyone can help me ?

thanks a lot

I think the problem is that the comm port was re-configured from factory default to communicate with the HMI.

If you must use this port to "see" the PLC, you won't be able to use the HMI (obviously) until you are done being connected with your programming device.

Then you will need to re-configure the port to match what the HMI needs to communicate with the SLC again.

Good luck.

i try auto-configure and message is "failed to find the baud and parity. check all cable and switch settings". the cable is no problem. what is the switch setting ?

Jimmie said the port is re-configured. but i don't know how to change back to default. i must to use this port to see the plc.

please help me

thanks

To get to factory default:

1) Power off the chassis supply.
2) Pull out the SLC processor
3) Remove the battery.
4) Short out the terminals where the battery was connected. (This WILL take awhile...maybe 30-60 seconds.)
5) Reconnect battery
6) Reinstall processor
7) Re-power chassis supply.

If processor is factory default, the "fault" LED will be lit indicating that no processor program exists. If nothing was changed, you didn't short the terminals long enough...

If you have an off-line copy of the program, look at the CH.0 config in the offline file. I suspect that the serial port has been setup for DH-485 comms. Delete your RS-232 DF1 driver in RSLinx and configure a 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver. Then try to co online using the same null-modem cable that you would use for DF1. Your cable is null-modem, right? If not, that might be the problem.

Jimmie_Ohio said:
To get to factory default:

1) Power off the chassis supply.
2) Pull out the SLC processor
3) Remove the battery.
4) Short out the terminals where the battery was connected. (This WILL take awhile...maybe 30-60 seconds.)
5) Reconnect battery
6) Reinstall processor
7) Re-power chassis supply.

If processor is factory default, the "fault" LED will be lit indicating that no processor program exists. If nothing was changed, you didn't short the terminals long enough...

WARNING!

Don't do this except as a last resort. And do not ever do it if you do not have a backup copy of the program. This will wipe the entire program and its data from PLC memory.

Alaric said:
WARNING!

Don't do this except as a last resort. And do not ever do it if you do not have a backup copy of the program. This will wipe the entire program and its data from PLC memory.
I fully agree with Alaric. Here's the math:

Factory Default = condition found when taken from original carton = PLC with no program

Programmer - accurate offline program + restoring factory defaults = unemployed programmer.

In other words, any question of restoring factory defaults on any processor is done with the assumption that any existing program in the PLC will be lost. The programmer needs to verify that he has some offline version of the program...

If you have an off-line copy of the program, look at the CH.0 config in the offline file. I suspect that the serial port has been setup for DH-485 comms. Delete your RS-232 DF1 driver in RSLinx and configure a 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver. Then try to co online using the same null-modem cable that you would use for DF1. Your cable is null-modem, right? If not, that might be the problem.

I agree with mgvol, have you tried his suggestion?

yes i try this, but the problem is that there is no COM port on my laptop i use usb to series convertor which is from com6 to com8. when i setup the pic 485 driver it only give me chioce from com1 to com4. so i don't how to setup correctly.