PV+ replacement of PV on DH+

russrmartin

Hi guys. We had a PV on a DH+ network that we are going to replace with a PV+. THe PV is at node 5, and I was thinking that the new PV+ would just replace it as node 5. I set the target to be the SLC desired, which is node 1 on this network. However, the PV+ will not communicate with the SLC and Linx classic does not ever see the PV+ on the network. The total network has about 9 nodes sitting on a 1756-DHRIO module. The PV+ will have to communicate to the PLC over this network. I'm unsure of how to setup comms though. It almost looks like somehow I need to configure the PV+ to know that it is node 5. Has anyone done something like this? Thanks.

Russ

Russ, I have done several swapouts of PV to PV+ but I have not done a DH+ version. We go with ethernet whenerver possible these days. One thing I would suggest is that with ethernet you would go to the PVP and go to terminal settings / communications / network conncections blah blah blah and you cna configure the network settings there (ie node 5). Poke around in there and see what might be needed.
Side note: on each PVP I have done I go to term settings/cursor/ and turn the damned mouse pointer off (I don't know if you are going to supply a mouse but for a touch screen i find the mouse pointer really annoying. I also set daylight savings to on and configure my timezone right out of the box so I don't forget. No customer call in six months asking how to change the time...
Marc

Russ,

In the communications setup:

Click on the Target Tab
Right click on the top "RSLinx Enterprise"
Click on the DH+ Driver (I'm assuming that you have the 2711-RN6 or RN8 module installed to the Panel View)
Right click on "DHPlus 2711-RN6" or equiv.
Click on "Add Device"
Click on "CE Terminals"
Click on your appropriate Panelview + model
Highlight on the drop down revision for your module, click OK
Input your node number, 5 in your case

Download to the Panelview + and you should be good to go.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. The PLC is already networked for online programming via the DH connection to the 5000 hub. Because of this, ethernet to the PV and PLC won't happen because of the cost to value ratio. It would gain us nothing in terms of money or comms that we don't already have, so management nixed that. I beleive that I have the comms setup the same as what SAK mentioned, but I will double check again. Thanks.

Russ

PV+ uses Linx Enterprise, not Linx classic.

The manual for RSView Studio has some sections dedicated to PV conversions and these may be exactly what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Make sure you are looking at the "Target" tab and not the "Local" tab in RSLinxEnterprise. You can do everything in the "Target" tab but make sure to press the "Copy" button to get it into the "Local" settings as well.

The answer

The problem we were experiencing was due to the DH+ cable wiring. I guess the on the PV+, the wires need to be flipped around from the orientation on a PV. After flipping these everything worked smoothly. Thanks to all for the input.

Russ