Reading Message in PLC5 from ControlLogix

cntrlfrk

To read in four 'N' registers from a PLC5/Series D into a Control Logix 1756-L55/A processor, would I just need to set up the message in the CL?

Thanks in advance.

See if this helps; http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/WebEULA/0/BDC6C834B77E030585256BE5004C5A29/?OpenDocument&IAgreeToRockwellAutomationEndUserLicenseAgreement#DataFiles

I actually know nothing about Controllogix except playing with the software. Its my understanding that you can create a Message in the PLC5, PLC5 Write (as shown above) but in some cases you may have to do things a little different.

When you create the Write MSG in the PLC5, using Nx; lenght 4, then goto RSL5k, create a tag then MAP that tag. I believe you must be sure that you use INT type files.

Here is another example; http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/24fee0e1bfa5d88585256b570067d2d6/$FILE/kb1.doc

Last edited:
That's the basic idea. You'll select a PLC5 type read and select a suitable CLX tag/tags to receive the data. If the 4 N registers are contiguous then the CLX tag should be an array of at least elements.

You haven't said what network you're using so we can't advise you on how to set up the path but that shouldn't be too hard to work out if you readt the online manuals.

You can instigate the message from within the PLC5 if that suits you better.

Yes, use the PLC5 Type Read command, located in the MSG operand.
Read the data block that you need, you specify it in the setup of the MSG above. It should be fairly straight-forward.
What communication are you running, DH+, or Ethernet? Your post doesn't show which PLC5.......

PLC5/40C, Ethernet communications.

I have it set up as follows.

type: PLC5 Typed Read
source: n7:300 (first register in PLC5)
# of elements: 4
destination: DINT[100]
communication path: ETHERNET_1,2,12.34.56.9 (IP of PLC5)

on the same rung as the message, I have a NC 'message'.EN

Not seeing anything in DINT[100-103], Confirmed misc positive values in N7:300-303

Last edited:
I did not get beat this time;

When you create the Write MSG in the PLC5, using Nx; lenght 4, then goto RSL5k, create a tag then MAP that tag. I believe you must be sure that you use INT type files.