RS485 - using LG GM6 And GM7 PLC's

DS4275

I am working on a project where I have to control 5 Jigs in a system using a welding robot. Each Jig can move independently, but they must all be controlled such that the welding robot works with them.

As each jig is loaded it is placed into a queue, the welding robot then starts welding the first jig. When it is finished the next jig in the queue is then moved into position. etc

This is the second set-up like this that I am building, the first uses an LG GM6 PLC to control the entire system using all the I/O on the GM6. This resulted in a lot of cabling, most of which has to run through my welding area.

This time I am wanting to use 5 G7M-30U PLCs, one in each Jig, and 1 GM6 PLC with almost no I/O. Using RS485 I am wanting to use the GM6 to control the GM7's.

How would I set up this network?

Would I use the GM7's purely as Slave I/O or can I use them to control the Jig with the GM6 just calling for the required positions ?