Micrologix and an encoder

gosenbach

Hello everyone. I have an app that came across my desk that I need to use a PLC for. I have not worked with PLCs a whole lot so I thought I could tap the brains of a few of you out there who are familiar with Micro Logix PLCs. I have worked with the ML1000 before but not in an app like this. What I need to do (really simple) is track an object on a conveyor from an inspection station. The inspection station will give me a pulse for good and another pulse for bad. The part must be tracked until it gets to an ejector and the kicked out if it is bad. There are probably going to be 5 containers between the output and the ejector. I want to use an encoder on the pulley shaft of the conveyor to track the containers. I think I can get this all figured out ok, I just have never used an encoder with a high speed counter in a PLC and if this is possible with a ML1000. (I have been trying to get a hold of someone at my local distributor's office all day, no luck). I know that the ML1000 is kind of stripped down in the way of features so would this be better suited to a ML1200 or something else? Mainly I just need to know what PLC I should buy. Thank you for your suggestions!

You will need a Micrologix 1100, 1200, or 1500. It depends on your I/O count. If the count is low or you can use expansion I/O go with the 1100. It has a built in Ethernet port. 1200 has more built in I/O

Both have 2 high speed inputs which equals one encoder

I only require 2 inputs (for the good/bad pulse), 1 (or 2) for the encoder, and 1 output for the air valve. I think the smallest AB has is 6 in and 4 out?