Can Simatic Manger be "cleaned up"

Labotomi

Just wondering if the extra objects that aren't used for troubleshooting by the technicians can be "hidden". For example; can I hide FB9 (first order lag element).

I would like the display to only include items useful for troubleshooting on a daily basis so the techs aren't looking in the wrong places.

Hide blocks - no. You can make blocks know_how_protect however to prevent the code inside being viewed. Sods law says that whatever blocks you do this to, the next day someone will want to monitor them !

I give all my standard blocks an "STD_.." symbolic prefix.
You could do the same and tell the techs that these blocks are standardised, tested and checked, and guaranteed to work perfectly.
I would also work with them in a friendly manner, to teach them how the programs are organised and how to troubleshoot.
It is better to cooperate with them than to try and hinder them. Like Simon says, when you stop someone from accessing something, then that something becomes very tempting to try and look into.

JesperMP said:
I give all my standard blocks an "STD_.." symbolic prefix.
You could do the same and tell the techs that these blocks are standardised, tested and checked, and guaranteed to work perfectly.
I would also work with them in a friendly manner, to teach them how the programs are organised and how to troubleshoot.
It is better to cooperate with them than to try and hinder them. Like Simon says, when you stop someone from accessing something, then that something becomes very tempting to try and look into.
I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong idea, but I'm not trying to prevent anyone from accessing any part of the program. I just wanted to try and clean up the interface to make it a little more user friendly. This is something that they have asked for to simplify the troubleshooting (they're used to Simadyn-D/StrucG type interface)

The "STD" method is one that I've considered but I'd hoped for a cleaner approach. Another I'd thought of was to use the comments block and just remove the comment (or move it to the first rung) for the blocks that wouldn't be helpful, though it doesn't seem like I can move the comments from the standard siemens blocks.

One of the approaches i've seen in the Past is to Add a Second "S7 Program File", This is then renamed i.e Maintenance and the Useful Blocks as well as the symbol table copied over.

You can then monitor your common blocks
s7prog.JPG

Of course the problem comes when individuals alter code!

Hope this helps

Labotomi said:
I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong idea, but I'm not trying to prevent anyone from accessing any part of the program. I just wanted to try and clean up the interface to make it a little more user friendly.

I find the structure of the code is what makes it user friendly.