rom and ram significance of a microcontroller in a plc

gautam

i am currently start8ing a project on plc.i am a B.E final year student and just know A,B,C of plc.

Hey Guatam,

In response to ram vs. rom... yes, they are important. The main difference is rom is Read Only Memory. This means that you have a chip with information contained in it, that cannot be changed readily (there are eproms, electrical programmable etc...) that can be programmed, but for the most part, rom has information loaded that can only be read.

As for ram, Random Access Memory, this is usually a 'cache' that stores information before transferring to another area. It can be 'read' but you can also 'write' to it.

The best example I can give, your cmos (bios) on a pc is rom. Your memory is ram.

Hoot

If your project is to apply a PLC to control a machine or process, all you need to know about RAM and ROM in the PLC (at this stage of your learning) is whether or not the battery is OK.

If your project is to design a PLC and you need to know what parts of the system belong in ROM and what belong in RAM, you're probably posting the question to the wrong forum. Most of us here are PLC users rather than PLC designers.