SLC Remote I/O No Go...

bluenoser337

I have a 1747-SN in slot 1 of a 4 slot local rack with a 5/03 CPU. The DIP switches are set to 57.6 baud. The I/O config has the module set up with one 3/4 rack, rack #0. There is no ladder code at present except one input in the local rack...and one output in the remote rack. The remote 7-slot rack presently has a 1747-ASB and output card only, with the following switch settings on the ASB...(from 1 to 8) bank #1 - all on, #2 - 11011110, #3 - 01000111
There is an 82 ohm resistor across the blue/white wires of the blue hose...at both ends. Racks are only 25 feet apart. Getting flashing red comm light on SN and flashing green comm light on ASB...with ADE fault. Can't get comms to work, no matter what I try. Wonder what I am missing. Only need to operate discrete outputs on remote rack, based on input from local rack. Any help appreciated!!

What type of output module are you using, you currently have set up the remote rack for 1/2 slot addressing, is this by design?

1/2-slot addressing
• one half of an I/O module slot = 1 group
• each physical slot in the chassis corresponds to
two words (32 bits) in the input image table and
two words (32 bits) in the output image table

I would recommend using 1-slot addressing, it's easier for less experienced programmers to understand.

1-slot addressing
• one I/O module slot = 1 group
• each physical slot in the chassis corresponds to
one word (16 bits) in the input image table and one
word (16 bits) in the output image table

Thanks Ken. The output card is a 1746-OB8 (8-point DC). You must get the 1/2 slot thing from the DIP switches? Wasn't sure how to set some of those. Could that be my problem?

For 1-slot addressing, SW-3 , dip 5=on, dip 6=off

What code do you have in the ASB status display? It can be alpha/numeric.

edit:
never mind I see now you have ade which is a reset status, is the PLC in run mode?

Can you post your .rss file?

Last edited:
I think my output instruction should be O:1.1/0 not O:1.0/0 ... but that shouldn't affect comms. Bad SN module, maybe? How can you troubleshoot these without having another one?

You do have the blue wire on top on both plugs, right ?

Generally you want to use the 150 ohm resistors when you are running at 57.6 kb/s.

bluenoser337 said:
I think my output instruction should be O:1.1/0 not O:1.0/0 ... but that shouldn't affect comms. Bad SN module, maybe? How can you troubleshoot these without having another one?

No you're right, the slot immediately to the right of the ASB will be logical address zero (verses logical word address 1 if a CPU was in it).

These may seem basic but:

Did you ring out the Blue Hose? No opens? no shorts?

When configuring the SN, did you chose series A or series B. Can't tell in the ADV config that I can see.

Did you do a cold restart on both the local and remote racks after re-configuring?

Could be bad SN too.

Hi jstolaruk...all good questions...blue hose is ok, I/O was set up using "read I/O config" so i didn't choose, both racks have been powered down ... over and over, thinking too that SN may be bad, but how to test without another (trying to get a loaner).

From the SN manual:

COMM LED=flashing red

Scanner is incorrectly
connected, or all devices are
incorrectly configured, have
no power, or are faulted.

Check the RIO link wiring at the scanner.
Check device configurations, power
status, and network baud rate.

Plus the PLC status word 6, should have an error value which may help trouble shoot the problem.

error_map.png

Last edited:
Ken M...No error in the CPU (not faulted)...looking more like a bad SN as everything else is getting ruled out. Thanks. I will post the solution when it is found. Any other suggestions or questions would be appreciated!