1771-A1B and PLC 5/30 faulting

mswiggins

I have a PLC 5/30 in a 1771-A1B that are running in part of our plant.

Everytime we have a power blip, the processor will fault.
The processor is easily reset from Logix 5.

I have serveral other PLC5s running and none of them fault.
I have tried to find the manuals for the PLC5/30 and the 1771-A1B to see if a dip switch setting is incorrect.

It there anything that I can do to prevent the processor from faulting? I got a call at midnight last night to help reset the processor.

Thanks for any information.

Marty

Fault Codes

I was able to run a test this morning. Our coating lines were down, so I cut the processor off and on.

I got the following.

Major Error Flags S:11
/9 Bad System Configuration

Major Error Code Description S:12
Illegal cartridge type for selected operation.

I looked that the program and found that the I/O configuration was configured for a 4 slot chassis and an 8 slot chassis is being used.

I changed the program.

I want to go back and check the chassis dip switches to see if it is configured for 1 slot or 2 slot addressing. Coating is running now, so I will wait for some downtime.

When I get some downtime, I will cut the processor off again to see if I get the same errors.

Thanks

Marty

Problem corrected

I think I have corrected the problem.

I was able to shutdown the PLC for a few minutes.

Switch 6 and 7 on the chassis are for memory module transfer.
There is no memory module in the processor, there for the switches should be 6 - On 7 - off.

Before, the processor would try to read from the memory module on startup and it would fault.

Hopefully, this will save me a phone call at 2:00 AM.