Advise needed on tags export (AB, Mitsubishi, whatever)

Valentina

Dear all,

Please help a girl with information.
I found myself in a need for checking existing PLC tags from OPC side.

I'm not programming controllers personally(therefore I've got a very short knowledge about it) but I'm building MES above it.
And usually I'm provided with the fault transaction table tags list by local engineering.
So there is a constant problem faced when I am doing configuration: some tools are crashing if the tag provided doesn't exist in PLC or the variable name is wrong.

Therefore I need something to read a tag\variable list from PLC real-time, so that I could compare thousands of variables before I start my work and identify gaps. And as I work with many different controllers globally, I would appreciate having sort of standard solution:)

Probably this can be done through OPC servers.
What about RSlinx DDE option? Did someone try to get tags list through rxlinx DDE and export it to excel?

Please help blondie with advise, I'm dying examining thousands of variables manually!

Hello, Valentina

It is possible to import or copy tag Allen-Bradley databases using the RSLinx DDE option. However, what about the Siemens tags?

Your best long-term option will be to acquire copies of the software programs of the different PLC brands that you expect to work with. Then you can always for sure get print-outs of the actual tag database.

Any other option has many difficulties and problems. You may not be able to access some PLCs without the PLC software.

Well, for Siemens I would use Kepware (though I'm not yet sure if it has such option embedded).
But as AB is 95% of equipment we work with, i find it reasonable to make it work through RSlinx.
unf, I can not find more information on it (google sends me to pages which no longer exist).
if there could only be a tool!

Last edited: