Allen-Bradley Revisions

Mark Buskell

Does anyone have any links to tell me know the current revision levels of different A-B modules.
I was trying to find out the latest Rev level on a 1746-NI4 module but could not find anything on their site.

I am not sure that is what was meant. The 1746-NI4 is an SLC module so I am not aware of being able to use it with RSL5K.

I think he is looking for something like Series A, B, or C like the MLs and other components have. I have not seen, nor find, any reference to hardware revisions made on the NI4.

With the 1746 I/O modules, the only thing that can matter is the Series letter of the module, which can denote different functionality (the 1747-SN Series A vs Series B with block transfers, for example).

SLC I/O modules do not have upgradeable firmware so there's really no reason to concern yourself with the firmware level. If the module doesn't work, repair or replace it.

I was looking to pickup the used modules on ebay for testing.

A lot of times they refer to the series, for example 1756-ENBT, they have 3 different series out A,B & C.

What I am trying to find out if there is any sort of AB List that would give me a clue to the latest revision levels of a module.

Technically RSL500 will do that if you have the latest version. Create a new file and select a CPU then go thru the list and select a module, if it has an A B etc series it should show it. I have version 5.2 so I have not seen a series C but I would expect newer versions of RSL to show it when applicable.

Tell the truth my version shows C series for some CPUs but the only module I have found with A and B series are the Scanner and the KE.

Last edited:
rsdoran said:
I am not sure that is what was meant. The 1746-NI4 is an SLC module so I am not aware of being able to use it with RSL5K.

I think he is looking for something like Series A, B, or C like the MLs and other components have. I have not seen, nor find, any reference to hardware revisions made on the NI4.
My bust, I was thinking about Controllogix

I have a PLC5 in front of me.
Its a 1785-L30B C
On the side it also has stamped: Series C, Firmware Rev. D.

I believe PanelView's are similiar with Series and Firmware levels.

I have 2 new ControlLogix systems that I will be ordering soon.
The hardware costs (Processor, Rack, PS, modules) will be at least $20K for each system.

What I am thinking about doing is picking up a used processor, rack, PS., dhrio, enbt or enet for testing and customer support in my office. I would also like to be able to do this with the CompactLogix platform.

I picked up on ebay a 1756-ENET module, series A, I now realize that there is also a series B out. I am now sure even if you can still buy the ENET modules from AB, they have since went to the ENBT modules.

Another example is the DHRIO modules. In RS5000, its shows 3 possible types 1756-DHRIO/B, C or D. I will have to do some research and find out what is the difference between the different series.

What I have been trying to determine is if there is a list somewhere that insures me that I am buying a fairly newer module and not some older module with outdated rev and firmware levels.

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

picked up on ebay a 1756-ENET module, series A, I now realize that there is also a series B out. I am now sure even if you can still buy the ENET modules from AB, they have since went to the ENBT modules.
1756-ENET/A can be flashed with fw ser B ONLY if it was 1.18 or higer from the factory. A-B stopped selling them in 2002.
ENET supports 10/half comms only
Another example is the DHRIO modules. In RS5000, its shows 3 possible types 1756-DHRIO/B, C or D. I will have to do some research and find out what is the difference between the different series.
DHRIO ser B can be flashed to ser C, but B and C can't be flashed ser D firmware 6.2.
Defference between series is always in hardware