which ab plc to learn on?

tim in pa

this is the best plc forum i've seen, and i sure respect the level of willing knowledge. i am an electronic instructor (1 yr course) at a technical school. we have been sharing a laptop (PCMK board) with rslogix 5 and 500 and programming slc500's (mod and fixed) and a plc5/15 and plc5/40. i have the opportunity to buy some smaller units so each student (10) can have their own plc attached to their pc workstation (serial port?). i'll need development software (rslogix5xxx)on each pc, rslinx5xxx, i/f cable, plc, and an i/o box (we'll build and wire ourselves). i'm thinking in the ab micrologix line. anyone have any recommendations?. other then i/o count, and i see the one has a view, would any micrologix model provide a better learning test bed over the other?

Standard forum answer: "it depends".

In the Micrologix line I prefer the 1200 to the 1000, serie's C, handles floating point, larger instruction set, and can create additional data files, plus limited I/O expansion. Haven't used the ML1100 yet, but that might be a good choice also, ethernet, analog, and LCD screen, not sure but I believe the ML1100 supports online editing.

But, the future of AB/Rockwell is the ControlLogix line, so perhaps a Compact logix PLC would better prepare your students for the future.

I dont use many ML's but i remember reading a post by Ken i believe that there is free ML Software but its limited (cant remember how)

Other questions would be

Ethernet, Serial, DeviceNet, ControlNet ? or do you just want a stand alone unit ?

I know the ML 1100 has built in ethernet and that i believe is the one with the onboard screen.

Will you just be teaching Digital IO or do you want one with Analogue ? And would that be Built in or an extra add-on ?

Do Allen Bradley offer premium discounts to schools/colleges to get their kit in the students workplace (ie budding engineers) ??

Last edited:
👨🏻‍🏫 Since your essentially training AB's future customers make sure you get the local AB factory person involved to see what kind of deals you can get.:cool:

Tim, I certainly support everything that Ken has said. The ControlLogix is the future of AB so the CompactLogix makes sense on a cost level. I too teach PLCs here in NC and inherited the SLC500 modular equipment that we currently use. I have a few ControlLogix systems for training but have not started that effort yet. In terms of teaching PLCs the main idea is to focus on method and thought process using the instruction set you have. The manufacturer of the PLC is not all that important as Terry Woods is fond of saying.
If you are going to get some money for new stuff, try and integrate some networking, op panels, analog, etc. The basics of how to use a PLC will be fine for getting most people off to a good start and then their employer will have to make system specific training available.
You are right about PLC help forum sites, this is the best around!