Siemens program translation s-7.

hotrod

Hey guys any idea on how we can take a plc program written in itailian and translate it into english, we have no support from the company that wrote it, due to seperation. can I copy the program to file and run it through some kind of washing machine and all the italian will be washed out and only the english left?, thanks .

I've done similar things for German.

The best way I've done is to convert the symbols first by using an on-line translator and doing a search and replace. Perhaps concentrate on the I/O first.
You can convert the program into a source code, and do a similar thing there and recompile after, but I would complete the symbols list first because if you change what is a symbol then you'll have problems re-compiling.

It a long way to do it, but I don't know of any auto software. Using on-line translators also means you have to think about some of the translations. For example, recently the translator came up with 'intruders', it took me a while, but finally realised it meant 'inductors'.

We had almost exactly the same scenario earlier this year....we managed to find an Italian S7 programmer with very good English and contracted the work to him.

He did an excellent job, was good value, and the whole thing was done 'online' (he even accepted payment via PayPal).

I've had to do this kind of thing quite alot recently and it sucks!

If you have a English electrical schematic, You can copy the I/O straight over into the symbol table.

I use these on-line translators and bounce between them when the translation doesnt make sense.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

http://www.freetranslation.com/

as PeterW quite rightly says - You can learn alot from doing it, But if its quite a big program maybe KRK's way would be favourable.

Good Luck!