DeviceNet Scanner Module Voltage

alendi

Hello everybody:cool:

I'hv a DeviceNet Scanner Module (1747-SDN) damaged I don't know why but the problem begin when a sensor was blast, I'v changed the sensor (like a normal part replacement) then when want restart the PLC is in fault and the DNSM burned at plug connector.

Now I'v a new card but I'm afraid to plug the net because I don't know the normal voltages at this point.

Can somebody tell me what voltages values must be presents at this plug with normal operation?

And what I must to check before plug the net to the card.

Thank you:site:

Alendi

24VDC is the power you should see on the trunkline. Across the TX and RX you should see around 10-15VDC or so. I saw a DNet card fried when someone hooked 120VAC into the line.

Thank you Matt

I'm testing the plug but I'm seeing this configuration of wire:

+24V Red ------------
Can_H White ---------
Drain/Shield---------
Can_L Blue-----------
+24V Return Black----

I must check whitin what wires? please.

I'm wondering if you know how configure the new card, I'm trying following the instructions but the red light (at DNSM) is flashing, the book say this is for bad configuration.

Thank again
Alendi

The wiring looks correct. You will need RSNetworx for Devicenet to download the scanlist into the scanner. Hopefully you have the scanlist from the old scanner saved or you can still upload from the old scanner. Once you have the new scanner reconfigured and trunk line plugged in you should be ready to go. You will need to set the baud rate and node number on the scanner module to match the old scanner.

"DNSM burned at plug connector."

That's not good. Somehow a much higher than normal voltage was applied to the DeviceNet network. Most network devices can operate outside the 11 to 24 V DC specification up to about 35 volts, but I have seen damage as low as 50 V DC. 120V AC will definitely smoke transcievers on a DeviceNet, but a well-designed part (like the 1747-SDN) will isolate that voltage from the rest of the system (like the SLC controller).

The 1747-SDN should show an error code of 92 "No Network Power" when it is unplugged from the network. When you apply 24 volts (+24 to red, Common to black) the error code will change to 91 "Bus Off Error".

If you have good +24 VDC power across the red and black wires and you plug into the network but the Error 91 persists, the scanner has been damaged and should be replaced. You'll want to carefully check the other devices on the network too.

Also make absolutely sure that network power is seperate from device power. You should have a dedicated power supply only supplying 24VDC fro the trunkline. No devices should be attached to that even if they are fused/breakered. It causes problems with the network that seem to be unexplainable when it is not seperated.

David