resolvers and encoders

drewcrew6

Okay something I've been curious for a while now.

What is the difference between a resolver and encoder. Now I know an encoder can be absolute or incremental and I think I understand the difference. Let me state to be sure.

Incremental will only feedback the amount of pulses under movement.

Absolute will feedback the amount of degrees from "home" (0 degrees).

How does a resolver differ. Or does it do the same and the difference is in the wiring?

Another query: I've only worked with optical encoder are there other types?

Thanks

Drewcrew6

Drewcrew6,

the main difference is that encoders are digital devices and resolvers are analog devices. Click here to go directly to some posts about resolvers within the second link rsdoran mentioned.

Kind regards,
Jean Pierre Vandecandelaere

Thank you

Exactly what I was looking for and answered my queries.

Somehow I had completly missed that post from january.

Rsdoran you have a great site keep up that excellent work. I just wish I could get the old gray matter to check it regularly.

Thanks

Drewcrew6