Kinda off topic, but.....

BIGE

I am responsible for the electrical systems at a sawmill. I am having trouble keeping the pot heads of smaller motors in good shape. The environment is very abusive. The smaller stamped sheetmetal ones get crushed within a few days and the normal cast ones don't stay much longer. Does anyone have any experience with any type fitting that might hold up?

E

I assume its the junction box for the wiring, also called peckerheads etc.

If that is correct there are several options. If they are getting damaged it usually means they are being used for a footstool or things are hitting them.

1. You can order them with the box in any position needed.
2. Build steel covers/quards.

If it a vibration issue where they are just coming apart then you may need to look at severe duty motors. You can try using loctite and silicone sealant to provide a tighter but flexible bond.

I was prepared to give a witty answer to the pothead problem when it became apparent I was going to get to use peckerhead in a post and someone beat me to peckerhead.

At any rate, where are these motors mounted that they are getting so much abuse? Would it be possible to mount the motors in another position that put the peckerhead on a side not prone to damage? Changing the peckerhead location from RH to LH or the other way isn't that hard. Especially on the smaller motors that you seem to be describing.

This is probably the first time I have ever heard a motor terminal box called any other name other that a " Motor termination Box"..
lol

Why confuse everyone??? If someone is called John....do you call him Peter ??? weird...

It's not the only thing, when I go out I wear trousers, but they (US folk) wear pants!!!!

I'd never go out with only my pants on, then again what we call pants, they call shorts!!!

I used to play sports, I wore my shirt, socks and shorts. Under my shorts were always my pants!

Got no idea why they call pants, shorts and I have no idea what they call shorts!!

The sport I played was Football, yet they call it Soccer!!! They play another wierd game that they call Football, a bit like Rugby and they wear 'dallas' pads.

Another game they have is baseball, which is a bit like a girls game we have called rounders, except they play with men in pyjamas!!

Then teams from all around the US get together and play the 'World' series!!!

:D

:unsure: Hope they don't awl get upset.

I always thought a pothead was someone with a drug problem…… Terminal box works for me.

Back to the topic, go and take a look at one of the dairy operations in your area, we use stainless steel cowls over our motors to protect them against direct water and damage.

Hope it helps

Ok...

We need to get a few things straight.

Pothead A stoner is slang for a member of the subculture of habitual cannabis users.

Pants are clothing for the body above the ankles and below the waist, typically with either a zipper or button fly. The term is an abbreviation of pantaloons, a puzzling plurale tantum as it comes from the French pantalon

Shorts are a garment worn by both men and women over their pelvic area and the upper part of the upper legs or more

Peter, there are not many things that disagree with you on but...your PLC programming abilities are exceptional:geek:, but the words you choose to express yourself is :whistle: , well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

🍻

You can not argue about the English language with someone in the UK, it did originate there, even today many refer to those in the UK as English (people).

Terms vary in just about any language from cultural differences, even in the US there are terms used in one region that may not be used in others.

The term redneck is commonly used in the south, for some it is used derogatorily, for others it can be a symbol of pride. This term actually was first used in Scotland but the US version has a completely different meaning.

I have heard motor terminal boxes called a variety of names, some can not or should not be repeated.

The US official language is English but the culture(s) were from a mixture of different people that colonized here; therefore the words that we commonly use differ to some degree.

rsdoran said:
You can not argue about the English language with someone in the UK, it did originate there, even today many refer to those in the UK as English (people).

Works for me....

English living in England :D

rsdoran said:
You can not argue about the English language with someone in the UK, it did originate there, even today many refer to those in the UK as English (people)....

Ron, I thought you knew me better then that...I can argue with the best if them...I may not be correct or even win, but if endurance has anything to do with it I will put up a good fight:D

":unsure: Hope they don't awl get upset." look what Peter said thats a invitation if I ever heard one...

But I don't think he's paying attention :oops: , or else he would of had a come-back :nodi:

BIGE said:
I am responsible for the electrical systems at a sawmill. I am having trouble keeping the pot heads of smaller motors in good shape. The environment is very abusive. The smaller stamped sheetmetal ones get crushed within a few days and the normal cast ones don't stay much longer. Does anyone have any experience with any type fitting that might hold up?

E

Been there;

First of all you need to confirm whether the boxes are being damaged from mechanical contact or from vibration.

If mechanical damage the only thing I have seen that works is a guard of some sort. I have tried working with motor manufacturers to try to come up with something that is more "stout" but the fact of the matter is if your little peckerbox comes in contact with a forklift or a load on a crane it will loose.

If it is vibration, you should first contact your mechanical peers. If a motor is vibrating that badly that it is breaking the mounting screws for the peckerbox on the motor, something is mechanically wrong (which is also not good for bearings, shafts etc....). If this can't be fixed, a severe duty motor might be in order.

I post mainly to share what are now fond anticdotes of my experiences in the southern U.S regarding language and terminology.

As a Canuck when first travelling south I asked an electrican whether or not he had any "orange marrettes" with him. He looked at me like a waiter at crackerbarrel ordering a sandwich, and I looked at him wondering if he was really an electrician. Turns out in the south "wire nut" is the common term.

I also recall asking a production helper to go to the storeroom and ask for "a chunk of 1/2" redi-rod". 30 minutes later he told me that the purchasing manager had located some and it would take 4 days to ship. Little did I know that redi-rod is called all-thread in the U.S.

I had learned enough to know when ordering a strain relief for a pendant cable (the steel mesh kind that grip several inches of the cable) that asking the supplier for a horse **** probably wasn't appropriate (although here Canada this is the only thing I know to call them by.) I can't recall what the PC term for one is.

The funniest for me was trying to order anything from a drive through. They obviously couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand them whent they read it back. It was kind of like a lottery, normally I got a burger, fries and some sort of pop (soda) but was never sure until I ate it.

Same continent, same language, same industry, same PLC's, but challenging and fun nonetheless.

No disrepect intended at all for any of my friends from the south, just observations.