pc communication to plc5/15

senen

hi guys,

i know this question been ask a million times now.i know how to commnicate with slc500 and micrologix but never tried with plc5/15 yet. what cable do i need to use to communicate with plc5/15.i found a cable 1784 pcm5/b ,can i used this cable?if i can,what driver i will select if i configure driver using rs linx?usually i just go autoconfigure ,can this procedure applicable to plc5/15 too?

thanks
senen

Classic pLC5 manual: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1785-um526_-en-p.pdf

The processor has electrically-parallel DH+ connectors. They are electrically identical, and connecting to either one provides access to the same communication link. The PLC-5/10,-5/12, -5/15, -5/25 processors have one of each:
9-pin D-shell DH+ connector
3-pin DH+ connector
Once you connect the programming device through a local DH+ link to one processor, the device can communicate with each PLC-5 processor on the link. You can also communicate with PLC-2, PLC-3 and PLC-5/250 processors connected to the link provided you have the appropriate programming software installed.​
With a 1784 PCMK you would use the 1784-PCM5 cable. It will be the DH+ driver, if using RSLinx then it will show the PCMK driver.​

senen said:
what cable do i need to use to communicate with plc5/15.i found a cable 1784 pcm5/b ,can i used this cable?
The 1784 PCM5 cable has a connector at the PLC end with an adapter.
With the adapter on, it connects to a DH+ port with a round 8-pin mini-DIN plug.
Without the adapter, it connects to a DH+ port with a 9-pin Sub-D plug.
So, remove the adapter and connect it to the 9-pin Sub-D DH+ port on the PLC5/15.

senen said:
if i can,what driver i will select if i configure driver using rs linx?usually i just go autoconfigure ,can this procedure applicable to plc5/15 too?
No, autoconfigure is used with the DF1 or DH485 protocols.
You have to install the PCMK card in RSLinx if not allready done.
And then you must specify baudrate and node address manually.

Greetings senen,

the cable that you mentioned will only work if you have a 1784-PCMK “credit card” installed in your laptop computer ... those are expensive ...

secret handshake: the DB-9 connector on a PLC-5/15 (or a PLC-5/25) is NOT a serial connection ... instead it is only used for DH+ (Data Highway Plus) ...

if you’re just tinkering around, the “passthru” method in this post might be interesting ... you need a spare SLC-5/04 system to use this method ... but since you mentioned that you’ve worked with various SLC and MicroLogix systems, you MIGHT have one handy ...

also - if you decide to buy the 1784-PCMK card (e-bay, etc.) make sure that you get the right version (A or B) to fit your cable ... the connections at the “credit card” end are different and are NOT interchangable ...

hi guys,
thanks for all the good info ...evrything went smoothly after i follow
all your information.

thanks again,
senen