PLC programming for student assignments

ilayusuf

Hi!

I'm new in this forum (and also in this PLC business).. I've a problem. I need to give a small project to 8 undergraduate groups for plc programming. Just a simple program that just need I/O, timer and counter. Can you suggest some applications that I can give to the students?

Thank you.

hey...

u can go for some simple sequences..

1) push button1 on -- time delay -- lamp on -- push button 2 on -- lamp off

2) 5 cars passed into gate, gate door output should close..

like this u think of very simple exercises..

have a nice day...

Thanks Haiaru123..

Maybe I can tell more about this student's project. A group will contain about 5 to 6 peoples. And the duration for this project is about 4 weeks. So, I need some suggestion about project that possible for 4 weeks work done by at least 5 peoples.

My favourite example project for training is level control using two pumps in a tank with simple level control using the following simple I/O depending on hom much I/O you have to play with on your PLC.

Inputs:

Start (High Level) Float switch
Stop (Low level) Float switch

From the control panel:
Manual Start PB
Manual Stop PB
Fault Reset Pushbutton
Pump 1 Running Contactor Feedback
Pump 2 Running Contactor Feedback
Pump 1 Overload Contact Feedback
Pump 2 Overload Contact Feedback
Duty Select Auto
Duty Select Pump 1 manual
Duty Select Pump 2 manual
(On a 3 position selector switch)

Outputs:

Start Pump 1 Contactor
Start Pump 2 Contactor
Pump 1 Running Lamp
Pump 2 Running Lamp
Pump 1 Fault Lamp
Pump 2 Fault lamp

Generally I tend to start off with the basics and progress in stages eg:

Manually controlling latching the pumps on from the pushbuttons
Run the pumps from the level switches
Generate Faults from the Overload and contactor fail to energise etc
Duty/standby rotation (timed, by number of starts or on duty fail)
Duty/Standby Assist (by adding in further level switches)
Hours run counters etc.
Add in some valve control etc etc,

the possibilities are boundless, just need a little imagination. This small application should give you a basic grounding in programming with timers counters and basic latching circuits etc.

Cheers,

Lee

Will they be learning the plc programming tool as well as designing the program ? is this 4 weeks of 5 days with 5/6 people = 100/120 man days ?

The classic traffic lights is a good starter, it can be extended with a pedestrian crossing, different priorities, time of day, PIR sensors ect.

Or Siemens have the ready built car-wash example with step 7.

Traffic light

The classic traffic lights is a good starter, it can be extended with a pedestrian crossing, different priorities, time of day, PIR sensors ect.

That is propably the best way of introducing the concept, students can relate to this very easily.

We did a very basic bottling line,complete with display on a HMI.. Worked quite nicely as well.. There was conveyer a filler load and unload positions, use a counter to count the amount of fills..

Regards

Rheinhardt

Thanks for all..

Actually, the student were taught about basic command of the plc. The project will be done in 4 weeks with 5 peoples in a group. So, so far you've suggested:

1. Traffic light
2. Bottle counting
3. Level control using 2 pumps

Is there any other suggestion. Actually I need about 8 - 9 projects. I couldn't think one because I'm also still learning this stuff.

Hope I don't bother you all. Thanks..