WinCC and Ethernet

Gromit

Hi

Which is the most cost-effective solution for connecting a WinCC SCADA and S7-300 PLC?
I think about:
-S7-300 CPU 315-2 PN/DP
-PC with WinCC RT
-SIMATIC NET IE S7-1613/2005 SW F. S7-,S5-COMP.-COMM.
-SIMATIC NET, IE, CP 1613 PCI CARD

or
-S7-300 CPU 314 + SIMATIC NET, CP 343-1 COMMUNICATIONS PROCESSOR
-PC with WinCC RT
-SIMATIC NET IE S7-1613/2005 SW F. S7-,S5-COMP.-COMM.
-SIMATIC NET, IE, CP 1613 PCI CARD

The price is the same.

Regards

Last edited:
I prefer the 343 option as it allows you to use a “normal” NIC (network card) in the pc station. I use the 343 – lean witch is a very cost effective alternative. I would imagine that the PLC spec will depend on your code and application; I have used the 343 across most ranges.

Yes this is a good idea.
But if I need Ethernet connection, do you find the 2 configurations (described above) OK.

I think your options are as follows:

1: 315-2PN/DP + Simatic Softnet S7 IE LEAN.

2: 314 + CP343-1 LEAN + Simatic Softnet S7 IE LEAN.

3: 314 + 3rd party MPI/Ethernet converter.
IBH Link S7 Plus looks particularly interesting.
I think that it is bundled with a driver for WinCC.

4: 314 + CP5611 via MPI.
I think that there are integral drivers in WinCC for the CP5611.
A pitfall is that the MPI network is limited to 50 m. unless you install a repeater at the 314.
But it is the most cost-effective solution as per your original question.

The best is #1, but also the most expensive.

If you are using WinCC Flexible and not the 'classical' WinCC, then the RT licenses are bundeled with a Simatic Softnet S7 IE LEAN license.
Myself, I am using 315-2PN/DP (or 317-2PN/DP) + WinCC Flexible RT with the bundled LEAN license.

Yes I just would ask about buying CP1512 or CP1612 PCI card.
This is great that the normal ($5) LAN card can be used.

But because I already recommended the first 2 configurations to a friend, do you find them OK. I know they are not the cheapest, but this is what Siemens recommends in their ST80-2006.

As you say that the price is the same, then there is no doubt about it to my opinion.
The 315-2PN/DP has more memory, a real Profibus port, and the ethernet port is much faster than the other 3 solutions.

I would tell your friend the truth about the need or no need of a CP1613, if you did not, how can you be friends ?

Of course Siemens recommends a lot of things. They also lure a lot of people into buying CP5613 cards for applications where the much cheaper CP5611 card would be just as good.
As I said, I use the onboard NIC + Softnet LEAN, and I have not had a single problem ever.

Use the money you save on the CP1613 on an industrial grade switch in stead.

OK Simatic Softnet S7 IE LEAN does not need a CP1613 (btw Siemens recommends CP1612 or CP1512 not 13. I don't know why.)
But can the SIMATIC NET IE S7-1613/2005 SW F. S7-,S5-COMP.-COMM. software works without CP1613?

gregoryg said:
Yes, it works. It can be even used with normal ethernet card configured as "IE-General".
Are you sure ? The CP1613 is a "hardnet" card, and a typical NIC is a "softnet" card in Siemens lingo.
I would be surprised if it did work, but I am have been proven wrong before.
(it would be the second time today, maybe I should just shut up).

That was going to be my next question, I only started using Flex a while ago on a tp170b conversion. Want to do a pc based “scada” on flexible soon. The rest of the OP’s are still running Protool.