Slow step 7

chop347

I have just started working with step 7. Have noticed that my lap top has started to run really slow now and hangs up all the time. When I only had rslodgics on it I didnt have a problem. The computer runs fine when I am not online. But going online and working online is the problem. I have heard that should keep the two programs on different computers. But since I have only one lap top and work with both. That is not really a option. Is there some setting that I can adjust to make them run faster?

If its only happening when online I'd be looking into the comm port to make sure its set up correctly and that Simatic Manager is set up correctly to use it.

Also, try going online and then pressing CTRL, ALT, DEL to bring up your Task Manager and try and see what process is using all your CPU usage...

JT ;-)

I've had similar problems on computers running Siemens and Rockwell. Like Peter, i am using virtual PC software to separate the two application.

chop347 said:
I have just started working with step 7. Have noticed that my lap top has started to run really slow now and hangs up all the time. When I only had rslodgics on it I didnt have a problem. The computer runs fine when I am not online. But going online and working online is the problem. I have heard that should keep the two programs on different computers. But since I have only one lap top and work with both. That is not really a option. Is there some setting that I can adjust to make them run faster?
Ok I will go thru my port settings again. As I have checked on my task manager and everything is good there. Was working not bad at all then went on days off, But when I came back to work really slow now. Can any buddy give me a quick run down on what that link says. Have to many restrictions on my computer to open it

Hi chop347.

That link suggest that you set the virtual memory on the PC to at least twice the size of the physical memory. The procedure is different depending on the Windows version.

They also suggest to turn off the network (!) for Win 2000 and up:
Opening blocks with STEP 7 version V5.1 can take longer in Windows 2000 than with the same project in Windows 98.
Remedy 1:
Disable the network environment. The blocks can be opened in a short time. Via Start > Settings > Network and Data Communications Connections you can disable the network environment.

... beaten by Ken M !

You can also check how is Step7 enviroment configured: single/multiple node. If you can see icon similar to hammer in system tray, its configured for multiple nodes. Switch it to single node, sometimes it improves performance too.

From the start menu click on run. Then type msconfig and enter. Click the start menu.

UNCHECK every line that has S7 or RSLOGIX in it. Click apply and say yes to reboot the computer.

Both programs like to run in the background and hog your ram space too. By unchecking each program, especially S7, you free up ram and eliminate each program from hogging the serial port.

Been there done that. The only drawback is the programs take longer to load. I am sure that will not be a problem for you as you 'puter will work ssssooooo much better.

I would also recommend you run disk cleanup followed by a defrag. You would be supprised how much faster a little house keeping makes your 'puter run.

SNK said:
What about PC's without MSconfig?
I have W2K, and I cannot find MSconfig. What about task manager?

I did this on win 98SE and XP. When I type msconfig in the run box, I get the Systems Configuration Utility. The tab labeled start up is where you can uncheck things.

Was able to save it and open it. But states i am missing a font extension. So comes up all blank. Any chance some one has another version of this link. Thanks for all the help.

MSconfig is not included in windows 2000 but you can download msconfig from here and put it in the windows/system32 folder or you can use a freeware program called autoruns from sysinternals